NHS would save cash if it didn't print leaflets in different languages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
WHILE sitting in the doctor's waiting room last week, I experienced one of those "Eureka" moments – how the NHS could save millions of pounds annually – simply by not publishing its leaflets in 10 or more different languages, writes Carolyn Bointon.

Now, don't jump to conclusions. I'm not being racist, or anti-immigration, or some kind of flag-waving BNP fascist.

I'm simply using a little common sense and wondering why we feel the need to bend over backwards to help people, who don't, or won't, learn the language of the country they chose to call home.

And yes, I can speak from experience on this.

I spent 10 years living in a foreign country and absolutely no provision was made there for foreigners who didn't speak their language.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Opi...-cash-didn-t/story-22966090-detail/story.html

I would have thought some sort of 'print on demand' system could be set up, perhaps with some sort of dispensing machine instead of pre-printed leaflets - then all languages could be accommodated and updates would not require recall and wastage of out of date leaflets. 🙂

Last edited:
WHILE sitting in the doctor's waiting room last week, I experienced one of those "Eureka" moments – how the NHS could save millions of pounds annually – simply by not publishing its leaflets in 10 or more different languages, writes Carolyn Bointon.
Now, don't jump to conclusions. I'm not being racist, or anti-immigration, or some kind of flag-waving BNP fascist.
I'm simply using a little common sense and wondering why we feel the need to bend over backwards to help people, who don't, or won't, learn the language of the country they chose to call home.
And yes, I can speak from experience on this.
I spent 10 years living in a foreign country and absolutely no provision was made there for foreigners who didn't speak their language.
http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Opi...-cash-didn-t/story-22966090-detail/story.html
I would have thought some sort of 'print on demand' system could be set up, perhaps with some sort of dispensing machine instead of pre-printed leaflets - then all languages could be accommodated and updates would not require recall and wastage of out of date leaflets.
🙂
Interesting article.
Perhaps the difference between Derby (my home area) and London is that most of the doctors and nurses speak English as a first language.

you have got it right I never found anything in Italian anyway and in Italy is your problem if you don't speak Italian in any office or public places or government office!!!!!

The solution is in most people hands these days, a smart-phone. All you need is the leaflets available at an NHS website and it's URL listed on the wall.

At worst Google translate will attempt translations to and from something like 25 languages.

The solution is in most people hands these days, a smart-phone. All you need is the leaflets available at an NHS website and it's URL listed on the wall.

At worst Google translate will attempt translations to and from something like 25 languages.

I suppose there's the possibility of a potentially dangerous mistranslation if using an automated process to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back