NHS will offer diet and exercise support to obese Brits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Tens of thousands of obese Britons are to be offered “proper support” including special diets and exercise programmes in a new bid to stave off the threat of diabetes, the NHS has announced.

Simon Stevens, NHS England’s chief executive, said that doctors will now be tasked with spotting overweight patients and offering them treatment to lose weight, and companies will be encouraged to use financial incentives such as gift vouchers as a “nudge” to tempt workers into shedding excess pounds, he said.

The NHS boss was speaking ahead of the first ever national programme in England to prevent the growth of diabetes, amid mounting concerns over rising levels of obesity which have gone from 15 per cent to 25 per cent in the last 20 years.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-exercise-support-to-obese-brits-9945641.html

It would be nice if they offered 'proper support' to people with Type 2 diabetes, in the form of education and test strips, instead of blaming them and leaving them to their own devices with poor information :(

Big fail from the Independent for not once mentioning that obesity is not a risk factor for Type 1 diabetes :(

Ha ha ha !! You don't qualify for help if you are obese and over 65.

That's what my husband was told this summer.

He's supposed to be a maximum of 12st 2lbs. That's very odd because at 12st 12lbs he has a 32" waist, and one of his bum cheeks fits beautifully in my hand, his abs look great and his racing leathers fit him like a glove.

The fact that he has a gymnast's body helps - absolutely triangular at that weight when he was walking 10miles a day for his job, meter reading. Gorgeous.

I really DO NOT want him to be any lighter as his bones would stick out and he'd look emaciated instead of fantastic.

Anyway so he said Oh right, so will the NHS pay for me to join a gym then? and nursie said Yes! - oh sorry, no - you're too old Mr C !

If you go on this site it quite often goes on about things that are not good for you. Food 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back