NHS staff must ignore the guilt-tripping and fight for fair pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Far from 'taking it out on the patients', exploited health workers are actually taking action for my wellbeing.

As a result of a long-term illness (multiple myeloma), visits to Barts and the Royal London hospitals have been part of my regular routine for some years. I never cease to marvel at the range of responsibilities involved in keeping me alive and alleviating my aches and pains.

Nurses, technicians, receptionists, porters, admin and clerical workers, cleaners, pharmacists, phlebotomists, pathologists, doctors, and others all in their different ways perform essential tasks. If any of them drops the ball, patients' wellbeing can be compromised, sometimes fatally.

Sitting in the day unit at Barts with my IV drip and reading the newspapers, I can't help but compare this weight of responsibility, and the diligence with which it is discharged in the vast majority of cases, to the wanton irresponsibility of bonus-primed bankers, asset-stripping corporate executives and our whole tax-avoiding elite. And I do wonder how it is that more people are not sickened by the perversity of our system of rewards.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/04/nhs-staff-pay-patients-health-workers

Hear hear!

Perzackly - pay peanuts and you land up only employing monkeys!

Thank God that isn't wholly true in the NHS.

Not being rewarded properly for what you actually do, is VERY demoralising and the fact that your colleagues are all in the same boat, only goes SO far to ameliorate the crap. Whereas if you are paid well enough to accept the crap and that you have to do so much of it in order to get to the nice stuff you enjoy, helps somehow in getting the humdrum done more efficiently - and encourages groups of people getting together and devising better ways of doing it. I don't know in the NHS - but in offices, either you all spend half an hour a day filing, or someone does everybody's filing one day a week.

I dunno - bedpan duty rota? or something !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back