NHS reforms will save 1,600 children a year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The lives of up to 1600 children could be saved every year if reforms were made throughout the NHS, a minister will admit today.

Government figures show the ?all-cause? mortality rate for children aged between 0 and 14 years is amongst the worst in Europe.

Dr Dan Poulter, the Health Minister, will say that about 1600 children could be saved if ?drastic improvements? were made within the health service.
His comments come as he announces a new national pledge to reduce child deaths.

New measures include increasing data so the NHS and local authorities can get hold of better information to improve the health of young people and a survey to generate details of local health problems such as drug and alcohol use will be piloted.

New colour coded health maps also mean doctors and nurses will be able to look at local health trends for conditions like asthma and diabetes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/c...S-reforms-will-save-1600-children-a-year.html

Ah, this is what Newsnight was on about. The tv was on but I wasn't paying attention as I was on my laptop. Only when a teenage girl came on with her mother and they talked about times they had had to call a paediatric registrar out of hours for emergency advice did my ears prick up. As we have all found, there seems so much ignorance about diabetes, type 1 in particular, and this family have been given dangerous advice before. They only trust their DSN. The woman said they now use their support network for advice if they are unable to get old of their DSN. Haven't we all found this ignorance to be true. I missed most of the programme, but it might be worth catching on iPlayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back