NHS privatisation: it isn’t a black and white issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The older I get, the more irritable I become. This week’s cause for irritability is the stupidity of both the pro-privatisation lobby (the government and red-necked Conservatives, who want to privatise everything that moves) and the anti-privatisationists (the “keep your mucky capitalist hands off our perfect NHS” ranters).

Both parties ignore the failures of their own side. The pro-privateers forget about the appalling conditions in many private care home chains. The antis forget about Mid Staffs and the 14 hospital trusts put on special measures. Sir Mike Richards, chief inspector of hospitals, told the Independent that some poorly performing hospitals are in denial about how bad they are, and would never consider asking effective hospitals for help. I wonder whether privatisation is the only cure for such basket cases.

The pros and antis also ignore that both sides can give excellent services and can learn a lot from each other. But do they?

http://www.theguardian.com/healthcare-network/2014/sep/09/nhs-privatisation-not-black-white-issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back