NHS Path to Remission and ketosis - clarification question

Feathers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm starting the NHS Path to Remission program (800 calories a day for 12 weeks, soup and shakes)

A couple of times different people running the program have mentioned that you get into ketosis on the program. However, generally, keto is 50g of carb a day or less. The soups and shakes provided with the program would get me 60g of carb a day (and lucky it's not more - the soups are 17g each, but I didn't check before ordering, so it's pure luck I ended up with mostly shakes)

Does anyone know if ketosis should happen as part of the diet (in which case maybe I should modify it a bit to make sure I get into ketosis?) Or were the advisors mistaken?

I'll obviously check with them on the next call, but I feel awkward going "you said this should be keto . . . but here's what I've googled" because I imagine they get fairly annoyed about that

I'm starting the NHS Path to Remission program (800 calories a day for 12 weeks, soup and shakes)

A couple of times different people running the program have mentioned that you get into ketosis on the program. However, generally, keto is 50g of carb a day or less. The soups and shakes provided with the program would get me 60g of carb a day (and lucky it's not more - the soups are 17g each, but I didn't check before ordering, so it's pure luck I ended up with mostly shakes)

Does anyone know if ketosis should happen as part of the diet (in which case maybe I should modify it a bit to make sure I get into ketosis?) Or were the advisors mistaken?

I'll obviously check with them on the next call, but I feel awkward going "you said this should be keto . . . but here's what I've googled" because I imagine they get fairly annoyed about that
I can't see anywhere it saying that you need to be in ketosis. It is based on a low calorie approach rather than low carbohydrate but some people following a low carb regime may well have 50g of less carbs per day and would not be in ketosis as they would be having protein and healthy fats which would probably be more than the low calorie soups and shakes regime.
Quite a few people have successfully tried similar approach, I think there is a Newcastle Diet thread where people have discussed their experience.

I can't see anywhere it saying that you need to be in ketosis. It is based on a low calorie approach rather than low carbohydrate but some people following a low carb regime may well have 50g of less carbs per day and would not be in ketosis as they would be having protein and healthy fats which would probably be more than the low calorie soups and shakes regime.
Quite a few people have successfully tried similar approach, I think there is a Newcastle Diet thread where people have discussed their experience.
Agree. I'm on <50g carbs/day and I'm not in ketosis. My BG comes from the few carbs and mostly protein. Even if I drop the carbs for one or two days I still get BG spikes from the protein. Interesting idea though that low calorie could drive ketosis.

Presumably body weight (aka energy overall requirement) will affect whether someone enters ketosis for a given quantity of carbs. I imagine I'd be in ketosis with only 50g of carbs a day, not sure I want to test my theory though! :)

I can't see anywhere it saying that you need to be in ketosis.
Yeah I haven't been able to find anything written about it, it's just something two different people running it have said, hence confusion.

I’ve just completed week 10 of 12 (plus the 3 weeks food reintroduction stage) and at no point have any of the advisors told me that I’ll go into Ketosis during the TDR stage with the soups & shakes.

My BG at week 1 was 6.9 and my HbA1C 48mmol/mol
For the past 4 weeks my BG has been consistent at 5.4 so I’m confident that on my 12 week HbA1C test my Type 2 Diabetes will be in remission/reversed

I’ve dropped 3stone 4lbs since the start of the recording stage and as a result my GP has taken me off 2 of my 3 Blood Pressure Tablets

I found the first couple of weeks the toughest with my body getting used to not having any food, but after that it’s been fine (though I did change the milkshake flavours for week 5-8 on my order as I could feel boredom creeping in having the same flavours day after day).
I would certainly recommend getting some bottles of Flavdrops (Amazon) to change the flavours of the shakes as this helped too.

Good luck with your journey Feathers and feel free to ask any questions during it and, if I know the answer I’ll try to help.

I’ve just completed week 10 of 12 (plus the 3 weeks food reintroduction stage) and at no point have any of the advisors told me that I’ll go into Ketosis during the TDR stage with the soups & shakes.

My BG at week 1 was 6.9 and my HbA1C 48mmol/mol
For the past 4 weeks my BG has been consistent at 5.4 so I’m confident that on my 12 week HbA1C test my Type 2 Diabetes will be in remission/reversed

I’ve dropped 3stone 4lbs since the start of the recording stage and as a result my GP has taken me off 2 of my 3 Blood Pressure Tablets

I found the first couple of weeks the toughest with my body getting used to not having any food, but after that it’s been fine (though I did change the milkshake flavours for week 5-8 on my order as I could feel boredom creeping in having the same flavours day after day).
I would certainly recommend getting some bottles of Flavdrops (Amazon) to change the flavours of the shakes as this helped too.

Good luck with your journey Feathers and feel free to ask any questions during it and, if I know the answer I’ll try to help.
Thank you! And congratulations on seeing it through! Amazing weight loss and numbers.

Must just be my advisor being confusing about keto.

Have to admit I am struggling with the week 1 energy crash. My brain feels useless. And my digestive system is apparently deeply opposed to this diet and is making it known. Really hope that stops soon

Back