NHS mentors help jobless young people find work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hospital scheme aims to make young people not in employment, education or training more aware of a wide range of health sector jobs.

Helen Clayton, 21, passionately wants to work for the NHS. But until she took part in an innovative online mentoring and work experience scheme, she thought it was beyond her reach. “I hadn’t tried applying to the NHS before, because I thought there’re receptionists, doctors and nurses and that’s it,” she says. “But now I’ve seen just how many different people work here and how many different opportunities there are.”

Clayton, who has never had a permanent job, is spending two weeks in the cancer information centre at Ipswich hospital as part of a project giving 60 young people not in employment, education or training (Neet) experience of working in the NHS and an online mentor.

The NHS Online Mentoring Scheme is run by the education and social mobility charity Brightside and the National Skills Academy for Health (NSAH). The project aims to make young people more aware of job opportunities in the health sector.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jan/06/nhs-mentors-help-young-people-find-work

Sounds excellent! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back