NHS hospitals ban workers from having a cuppa at their desks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
An NHS hospital trust has banned reception staff from having a cup of tea at their desk because it makes them look like they might be slacking off from work

Bosses of Leicester’s three hospitals have brought in a ban on hot and cold drinks after complaints from patients who were already 'inflamed' about long waiting times.

But the move has been criticised as 'draconian' by patients at Leicester Royal Infirmary and Glenfield and Leicester General Hospitals - and even the trust admits it could prove counter-productive by encouraging workers to take more frequent breaks from their desks.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-makes-look-like-not-working-hard-enough.html

Oh for goodness sake, people are only bothered by the drinks because there are long waiting times they could sort that out quite easily in my opinion. In fact I'd sort it for them free of charge!

Oh for goodness sake, people are only bothered by the drinks because there are long waiting times they could sort that out quite easily in my opinion. In fact I'd sort it for them free of charge!

I agree. The drinks are a symptom, not a cause. This, unfortunately, confirms my opinion of some management's ability in the NHS.

It's so silly, I know you have to manage perceptions but annoying your staff when they're already under pressure isn't really the way to go is it. I sat with my uncle recently for three hours waiting for an appointment in a cardiology unit, and yes it was annoying to see people who worked there chatting and having a brew, but only because the process is they book 10 people into a three hour slot, allegedly it's because of high levels of non attendance. How does it help to keep the people who do attend waiting for three hours? My uncle is terminally ill, and spending three precious hours in a waiting room is not ideal.

Seriously NHS, if you're listening I'll sort it, drop me a line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back