NHS forks out ?4million to send obese patients to Weight Watchers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The NHS has spent ?4million on sending fat people to Weight Watchers over the past five years.
GPs now routinely refer patients to the classes, which cost 'private' visitors around ?45 for three months.
Recent studies have found the courses to be highly effective at helping people lose weight.
GPs have been able to send patients to them on the NHS since 2007, after they were approved by the rationing watchdog NICE. They are offered by two-thirds of Primary Care Trusts.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lion-send-obese-patients-Weight-Watchers.html

Anecdotal evidence from the forum seems to suggest SW is better than WW. The Fail seems to be suggesting by their headline that this is a bad thing, 'forking out' money - strikes me as money well-spent! 🙄

In my limited experience, the PCTs who refer people to WW also offer SW. There is loads of evidence that weight loss groups are effective. You already know my preference for SW because of its greater flexibility and diabetes-friendly choices.

The issue I had with Hertforshire was that they set up their own network of diet clinics, on a one-to-one basis with nurses (not dieticians). No group support, and very little useful guidance. My advisor was nearly as fat as me!

In my limited experience, the PCTs who refer people to WW also offer SW. There is loads of evidence that weight loss groups are effective. You already know my preference for SW because of its greater flexibility and diabetes-friendly choices.

The issue I had with Hertforshire was that they set up their own network of diet clinics, on a one-to-one basis with nurses (not dieticians). No group support, and very little useful guidance. My advisor was nearly as fat as me!

Interesting that SW offer better D-friendly choices - I wonder if HCPs are aware of that? 1-1 sessions miss the point, I think - people need peer support! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back