NHS fears the worst flu season in history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The NHS is braced for the worst flu season in its history, amid fears that overcrowded hospitals will be unable to cope. The head of the health service has warned that “pressures are going to be real” as he warned that influenza levels are expected to be high.

Simon Stevens said Australia and New Zealand - who are just coming out of their winter - have had a “heavy flu season” with many hospitals struggling to deal with demand.

And he said scientists would now re-examine the vaccines amid fears that the current jabs may not hold off the infections.

Health service regulators have already warned that hospitals are extremely busy, with too many beds blocked for lack of social care.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/12/nhs-fears-worst-flu-season-history/

Make sure you get your flu jab! 😱

Ours is next week. Another trip to the surgery. Rats.

I don't remember the 2009 pandemic. I haven't had flu for ages. Agh, just jinxed myself.

My surgery aren't doing jabs until the end of October so I'm going to see if I can get mine done at my local pharmacy rather than wait and knowing my luck catch flu before I get the jab o_O

Scary stuff though 😱

Just been in my mum's care home and there's already a high evidence of colds and coughs. Hope I haven't caught it! :(

Yikes, mine is booked for next Monday evening flu clinic.

Had to see the DN this morning at the surgery for foot check etc and as luck would have it the jabs had arrived yesterday so I had it this morning.

Had to see the DN this morning at the surgery for foot check etc and as luck would have it the jabs had arrived yesterday so I had it this morning.
I first read that as foot and mouth check. :D Been watching too much James Herriott.

Mine's booked for 23rd Sept. If I come off the diabetic register, does that mean I won't get my free annual flu jab?

Mine's booked for 23rd Sept. If I come off the diabetic register, does that mean I won't get my free annual flu jab?
Oh that's interesting, not sure about that. I get one anyways because I'm an ol' crock. :D

No sure for diabetics Mark, but some years ago my otherwise fit husband didn't qualify - he wasn't old enough to qualify that way.

Then had a motorbike accident, broke a load of ribs and had a collapsed lung - following year he got invited so had his jab. Next year - no invitation so we queried it. Nope, only the first year, he doesn't qualify now. However - he came with me to the drop-in sessions our GP used to run. On reception at the church hall they used to do this was a lady who used to be one of the receptionists from way back when, so she greets us by name, finds me and ticks me off then looks for Pete. How old are you now? she asks. Fifty whatever he replies. I don't know why you aren't on this list she says - after all - and she looks me in the eyes and speaks VERY distinctly - you ARE your wife's CARER, aren't you? - and grins widely. Oooh yes! I said, he certainly is Pam! (On the way out I said to her It's a very odd thing you know - if anyone else had asked me that question in different circumstances, I'd probably have punched them on the nose! Yes, she replied. I thought that before I said it ! LOL)

So from then on, he was on the list and of course, we're both now qualified by age anyway.

So - are you not your wife's carer? Mind you I see that Boots are offering them for £3 round here - book online apparently - so I shouldn't let it worry you anyway!

Got mine on 7th Oct.

No sure for diabetics Mark, but some years ago my otherwise fit husband didn't qualify - he wasn't old enough to qualify that way.

Then had a motorbike accident, broke a load of ribs and had a collapsed lung - following year he got invited so had his jab. Next year - no invitation so we queried it. Nope, only the first year, he doesn't qualify now. However - he came with me to the drop-in sessions our GP used to run. On reception at the church hall they used to do this was a lady who used to be one of the receptionists from way back when, so she greets us by name, finds me and ticks me off then looks for Pete. How old are you now? she asks. Fifty whatever he replies. I don't know why you aren't on this list she says - after all - and she looks me in the eyes and speaks VERY distinctly - you ARE your wife's CARER, aren't you? - and grins widely. Oooh yes! I said, he certainly is Pam! (On the way out I said to her It's a very odd thing you know - if anyone else had asked me that question in different circumstances, I'd probably have punched them on the nose! Yes, she replied. I thought that before I said it ! LOL)

So from then on, he was on the list and of course, we're both now qualified by age anyway.

So - are you not your wife's carer? Mind you I see that Boots are offering them for £3 round here - book online apparently - so I shouldn't let it worry you anyway!
I am my wife's full time carer. I will mention that to our surgery. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back