NHS failings lead to suicide attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A WOMAN who tried to take her own life after being failed by the NHS has called for a radical overhaul of how mental health issues are dealt with.

To mark World Mental Health Day (today), Harriet Ernstsons decided to speak out about her eight-month ordeal in which she repeatedly appealed for help only to be let down by the services she was relying on.

The Church Hill resident had previously suffered episodes of anxiety and depression as a child and about two years ago but towards the end of October last year her condition surfaced again.

After seeking help from her GP, the Standard’s deputy editor was referred for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy - which aims to change the way people think and behave through talking - but during her second appointment she was told she had become too unwell during her four months on the waiting list and was referred to the Community Mental Health Team (CMHT).

“I felt absolutely trapped in a bubble of panic, worry and despair. My loved ones were telling me I would get through it but all I could focus on was the multiple panic attacks a day I was experiencing and the fact some days even getting out of bed was impossible.”

http://www.redditchstandard.co.uk/2014/10/10/news-NHS-failings-lead-to-suicide-attempt-118413.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back