NHS Devon surgery restriction for smokers and obese plan revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Smokers and the morbidly obese in Devon will be denied routine surgery unless they quit smoking or lose weight.

Patients with a BMI of 35 or above will have to shed 5% of their weight while smokers will have to quit eight weeks before surgery.

The NHS in Devon has a £14.5m deficit and says the cuts are needed to help it meet waiting list targets.

The measures were announced the same day government announced an extra £2bn of annual NHS funding.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-30318546

"We recognise that each patient is an individual and where their GP or consultant feels that there are exceptional circumstances we will convene a panel of clinicians to consider the case."

I wonder how much that will cost 🙄
Haven't quite worked out why cataract surgery is going to be delayed if over weight.
I wonder if what they are doing is legal as it doesn't matter if you smoke or overweight you have still paid your NHS contribution.

I wonder how much that will cost 🙄
Haven't quite worked out why cataract surgery is going to be delayed if over weight.
I wonder if what they are doing is legal as it doesn't matter if you smoke or overweight you have still paid your NHS contribution.

Yes, I was wondering that - weight loss in particular can be very difficult for some people. I suppose that there are likely to be fewer problems if the person is generally healthier prior to the operation and might provide an incentive for some, particularly with stopping smoking. You just wonder how likely this committee is to say yes if they are of the 'no need to test' persuasion i.e. looking at the money, not the person.

Made me larf not regarding the delaying of cataract ops. Wonder if they live in the middle of town with plenty of buses, Devon is very rural and people rely on their cars to get from A to B. DVLA have certain standards that need to be met.

Mmmmm - I know someone who has spinal problems (has already had his neck fused, it was touch and go) who actually needs another back operation but the surgeon he originally saw last year told him he smoked so he wouldn't do it.

Hang on, what if I was prepared to give up? No.

So he's been off work ever since, cos Oh yes - this man has a full-time job that they are keeping for him, plus a wife (she does work, but) and two small children.

He HAS given up smoking in the interim as it happens and anyway has seen a different surgeon who is now doing the op in December. 12 months after he first needed it .......

It's a damn minefield.

Yes we accept that the anaesthetic is going to be more dangerous, but they are risky anyway - and how does that affect skeletal problems, or as Sue said, cataracts? And ONE hearing aid?

The idea of the NHS was to STOP people who couldn't afford expensive medical treatment having to become second class citizens - presumably THAT doesn't matter.

I feel like Ronnie Corbett looking up to Barker and Cleese - I know my place ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back