NHS 'can't cope' with multi-disease patients

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The health system in the UK cannot cope with the rising number of under-65s with long-term medical conditions and needs "radical change", says a study in The Lancet.

A team of researchers analysing 1.75 million people in Scotland found that nearly a quarter had two or more chronic diseases.

Their care was often co-ordinated poorly and inefficient, the study said.

The team wants a more personal approach to patients with complex problems.

At present, healthcare services, medical research and the education of medical students are dominated by a focus on individual diseases, the study authors say.

Yet rising numbers of people are living with more than two long-term disorders, called "multimorbidity", which could include coronary heart disease, diabetes, cancer, stroke and depression.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18007951

I would agree with that. William has multiple health care needs, and I do a lot of running about trying to get all the people involved to talk to each other, or just informing them what's going on. One area that could really be improved is in using more up to date technology to communicate. All the services without exception use standard mail, sending endless copies to the different people involved (or not as is usually the case **sigh**). I think email would be a great step forward. I can't email my gp to keep him in the loop either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back