NHS calls for more blood donors over Christmas period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
More than 200,000 blood donors are needed before Christmas, according to the NHS body in charge of transfusions.

NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) says blood and platelets supplies can drop "dramatically" in winter.

Last year, one in five blood donor appointments was missed over the festive period.

Blood donations are used to treat patients with cancer, with anaemia, after accidents or childbirth complications, or during surgery.

The NHS is particularly keen to boost stock levels for the following blood groups, which are most vulnerable to shortages:

O Rh Negative
A Rh Negative
B Rh Negative
AB Rh Negative.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30019555

I would if I could, but they won't let me :(

I'm still irritated by not being allowed and the nurse who has always done it for me is really peeved because I'm in that group listed so they liked having me on their books 😱

My Mum was AB- which is extremely rare. The funny (but logical) thing is that she hardly ever gave blood because they wanted to take it when it was needed. As it would hardly ever be needed, they had to be sure she could give it and she wouldn't have been able to if she'd donated routinely in recent weeks!

I'm B positive, which I rather like because it makes me sound like an optimist! 🙂

Very good Northy ! Bee "positive" :D It has always bothered me that I could not give blood. There loss 🙂 But I would !

I'm O negative, with means anyone can have mine, which I prefer to see as a representation of my generous giving nature rather than common :D

I'm O positive, so not on their list, but I would gladly give if I could. Sadly I'm now banned for life just because I had to have a transfusion after my daughter was born :(

I'm O positive, so not on their list, but I would gladly give if I could. Sadly I'm now banned for life just because I had to have a transfusion after my daughter was born :(

I can remember back to when I last gave blood and read the list of exclusions before doing so - I was surprised they can get anyone who qualifies! 😱

I think T2s can give as long as they are not on hypoglycaemic drugs 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back