NHS at crisis point as patients dial 999 as if buying a bag of crisps from a garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Patients who think calling the emergency services is “like buying a bag of crisps from a garage at 2am” and a surge in winter illnesses in the elderly are pushing the NHS to crisis point, according to a health expert.

GP and chair of the British Medical Association in the East Midlands Peter Holden has also warned that staffing levels in the local NHS are not high enough to satisfy demand and that people must stop demanding urgent treatment from paramedics and accident and emergency staff for routine health problems.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/NHS-c...9-buying-bag/story-25818181-detail/story.html

I have to say that dialling 999 did me no good at all this time last year when i was a genuine medical emergency (my consultant said I should have been 'red-flagged', as I was a seriously ill Type 1 with sky-high ketones, living on my own and severely dehydrated). Solution from the ambulance service? 'Call your GP'. So how come people with cut fingers are getting blue-lighted to A&E? :(

Salt & Vinegar form me 🙂 I was down in A & E last year with my son & people were coming in with small probs :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back