NHS at 65: The First Steps Into a Digitised NHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It has been 65 years since the birth of the NHS. Since its inception, the NHS has been at the forefront of healthcare provision in the UK. Along its 65-year journey, the NHS has undergone many changes, both in the provision of healthcare and in the way it treats patients whilst remaining true to Bevan's initial vision.

Dedicating time to patient care is as taxing now as it was all those years ago. A recent survey from the Royal College of Nursing highlighted that nurses spend a staggering 2.5 million hours per week on paperwork. In an aim to reduce this, earlier this year, the Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt announced a goal that the NHS would become fully digitised by 2018. A key part of dedicating more time to care is allowing clinicians and nurses to remain mobile and digitise all information at patients' bedside, instead of wandering between the ward and the office to input information.

http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/opinion/2288787/nhs-at-65-the-first-steps-into-a-digitised-nhs

From my 30 years experience of writing, designing and troubleshooting complex computer systems, I would say there is not a cat in hell's chance of achieving this by 2018, and even what they do achieve will be massively over budget and large portions not fit for purpose or prone to error. I agree it needs to be done, but the timescale is way too ambitious for something with such immense requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back