Nexus monitor and 3-monthly averages

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppanagi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Has anyone got any idea why my nexus monitor give a roughtly 3-month average of about 10.0 while the hospital 3-monthly average blood test shows only 7.6? This is a huge discrepancy (way above the 15% limit of accuracy for the nexus)

I answered in your other thread @ppanagi Can you explain a little more about what the Nexus is showing you? Is it an average? Or a predicted HbA1C?

My own rough analysis of the tests, over 3 months, that I take 3 or more times a day is about 10.0. My hospital HbA1c shows 7.6. I have only ever seen one reading in the last few months below this value (6.7). I use the Nexus in the mornings (fasting overnight) and nearly always before food. Even these are usually between 8.8 and11.0 fasting. Thanks for your interest.

My own rough analysis of the tests, over 3 months, that I take 3 or more times a day is about 10.0. My hospital HbA1c shows 7.6. I have only ever seen one reading in the last few months below this value (6.7). I use the Nexus in the mornings (fasting overnight) and nearly always before food. Even these are usually between 8.8 and11.0 fasting. Thanks for your interest.
The units are different your monitor gives results in mmol/l but the HbA1C is given in mmol/mol or in old units % but they are not measuring the same thing. Your hospital result is 7.6%, this converts to 60mmol/mol. Diagnostic threshold is above 47mmol/mol.

My own rough analysis of the tests, over 3 months, that I take 3 or more times a day is about 10.0. My hospital HbA1c shows 7.6.
They are on different scales, you can’t compare fingerprick reading averages with the hba1c

A hba1c of 7.6% does not mean your average blood sugar level is 7.6

Using this calculator an HbA1c of 7.6% equates to BG of 9.53, so very close to your meters average.

But an HbA1c is a 24/7 average, whereas you are only taking a few snapshots a day with the meter. So the two really aren't comparable.

Using this calculator an HbA1c of 7.6% equates to BG of 9.53, so very close to your meters average.

But an HbA1c is a 24/7 average, whereas you are only taking a few snapshots a day with the meter. So the two really aren't comparable.
Apologies for correcting you @RBZ5416, but because this misunderstanding comes up a lot I think its helpful to keep this bit of detail right. The HbA1c test is NOT an average. It is a comparison of glycated blood cells with non glycated cells that stay in our blood for about 3 months; as a comparison of what is basically 2 similar sorts of things in one basket (or in this case a vial of blood in a laboratory, the % was an appropriate way of measuring (counting) and recording that comparison. It was changed for various reasons, including that the numerical answer to HbA1c as a % could be similar to (but not the same) as a momentary sample measurement of blood glucose in mmol/L. These days in UK most HbA1c results are given as mmol/mol with a number somewhere between 25 and well over 100mmol/mol. Above 48mmol/mol is the formal threshold for a diagnosis of diabetes.

I think it is important and overall helpful that people at least are aware that the units are different and thus able to recognise they are looking at different results (for different measurements).

This topic was last raised some 3 weeks ago and this link from that thread is pinned near the top of the Newbies section of this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back