News

Status
Not open for further replies.

frustrated

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am down another 2 lbs this morning. Thats 12 lbs since since starting10 days ago.
Here is my question , before starting the 800 cal
In the previous 8 weeks I had already gone from 236 lbs to 213 , can anyone tell me if I might have already lost 33 in a quic enough time to have cleaned my organs of the fat inside,
Now that I’m to 203 that’s 33 in a bit over 8 weeks
And if so is there a test that would measure that fat inside?
I am still going I want to get to High School weight if I can that’s another 23 lbs
Silly I guess I’m 75, but my wife played pickle ball 3 times a week and beats all challengers no matter their age and she is 69

Which organs are you looking to clean?
Remember we don't just store fat inside organs, when overweight we also store body fat in body tissue surrounding organs too (which is unlikely to be helpful to us).

Maybe this post of mine with regard to liver fat will help you - I can see that you have already achieved 14% of body weight lost (i hit 7% myself this week) https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/can-someone-explain…-why-t2-and-pre-can’t-go-back-to-a-normal-diet-once….110929/page-2#post-1341642

Last edited:
This is from the article I linked in your last post - I believe there are some varying opinions over how long the slowed metabolism last for, but it seems to be generally agreed that it can result in dieters regaining weight. If aware of it then you can counter it with any exercise you are able to do (eg seated exercises, walking, gardening, or some other activity) 🙂

"When you lose large amounts of weight, you resting metabolic rate – the energy you burn at rest – will lower. Keeping your resting metabolic rate high is essential for keeping the weight off.
Unfortunately, once it slows down, your resting metabolic rate doesn't recover to the level it was pre-dieting even after you regain weight.
However, research has confirmed slow weight loss preserves your resting metabolic rate compared with rapid weight loss. As does a weight loss program that includes exercise rather than one that focuses on diet alone."

I am down another 2 lbs this morning. Thats 12 lbs since since starting10 days ago.
Here is my question , before starting the 800 cal
In the previous 8 weeks I had already gone from 236 lbs to 213 , can anyone tell me if I might have already lost 33 in a quic enough time to have cleaned my organs of the fat inside,
Now that I’m to 203 that’s 33 in a bit over 8 weeks
And if so is there a test that would measure that fat inside?
I am still going I want to get to High School weight if I can that’s another 23 lbs
Silly I guess I’m 75, but my wife played pickle ball 3 times a week and beats all challengers no matter their age and she is 69
33lb is probably enough to set the stage, but the fat won't come out of your liver and particularly your pancreas that quickly. I'm no expert - this is my amateur interpretation of everything I've read on the subject:

Losing weight does not burn off fat inside your internal organs directly. The fat you're been burning was primarily stored in adipose tissue - fat cells - all over the body but perhaps around your internal organs in particular. As far as I can make out there are only two types of tissue (apart from the intestines) that export fat for other parts of the body to use - adipose tissue and the liver. The liver pumps out a constant stream of fat in the form of triglycerides, which is taken up by other tissues which actually burn it up. Roy Taylor's 'personal fat threshold' theory suggests that losing as much weight as you have will have emptied out 'full' adipose tissue, which will now soak up triglycerides from the blood more efficiently, which will lead to depletion of fat in the liver and lower blood triglyceride levels. More fat exiting the liver than entering it over the course of each day. That part is probably well underway.

The pancreas is not a fat-exporting tissue however (as far as I can make out). Once fat enters pancreatic cells it must be burned off by the cells themselves. Weight loss does not affect the rate this happens. Triglycerides (and possibly free fatty acids) are constantly being taken up by internal organ tissue and constantly being burned off by those tissues. When blood triglyceride levels are elevated the balance shifts - more fat going in than is being burned off - and 'ectopic' fat (fat stored in the cells of non-adipose tissue) accumulates. If weight loss results in lowered triglyceride levels that balance should go back to normal, but the full reduction of fat in the pancreas seems to be a slow process compared to reduction in the liver, perhaps taking months.

Visceral adipose tissue - fat stored in fat cells around and between internal organs - may be a proxy for how 'full' your adipose tissue might be. There are expensive scans which can measure visceral fat but it would only be useful information if you had a scan from before beginning the weight loss to compare it with. There are smart bathroom weighing scales which claim to be able to measure visceral fat levels but I doubt they provide accurate numbers. Your blood triglyceride levels however might be a good indicator of what you might want to know - have you lost enough weight for the fat levels in your blood to have reduced to the point that fat in the pancreas should start to come down. If you have the results of a lipid panel (blood test for cholesterol) from before you began your weight loss, if that test showed elevated triglycerides, and if a new test shows 'normal' triglyceride levels, then the weight loss has likely been enough to result in the significant lowering of fat levels inside the liver and pancreas.

I hope that all makes sense. Again - I'm no expert, I just read all I could trying to figure out the answer to exactly the same question for myself - had I lost enough weight and when should I expect to see results.

Did you take any blood glucose measurements before starting your efforts to lose weight? Can you take any now?
The level of 8mmol/l after eating is regarded as the significant value by many, and it was for me, as once I saw that consistently I stuck to those meals and saw my numbers continue to reduce.
There are a lot of hypotheses about what causes type 2 and what reverses it, which have probably sold a lot of books, but for me, the only significant factor is the response to meals.
I suggest comparing BG levels after eating so that, when you need to return to more usual ways of eating you can keep track of progress or otherwise compared to normality.

This is informative, Roy Taylor, Achieving T2D remission (May 2023)

This might be of some interest to you, it breaks down the different fat stores in the body and what affects them and how they affect the body. Not specifically diabetes related but I think it's relevant nonetheless.

Thank you @wantonnoodle. It is T2D related in a big way!!! The last part is about fatty liver and fatty pancreas the twin drivers of T2D in most people who get T2D. Two interesting stats, 20% of obese people are metabolically healthy witb less than 5% liver fat, and 60% of people of normal BMI are not. Messages, control your blood glucose and love your liver. Eat real food (food without labels) and get your blood test ALT number down to 25 or less.

Thank you @wantonnoodle. It is T2D related in a big way!!! The last part is about fatty liver and fatty pancreas the twin drivers of T2D in most people who get T2D. Two interesting stats, 20% of obese people are metabolically healthy witb less than 5% liver fat, and 60% of people of normal BMI are not. Messages, control your blood glucose and love your liver. Eat real food (food without labels) and get your blood test ALT number down to 25 or less.
You're welcome. I didn't mean that the subject wasn't T2D related, it was more that the podcast series as a whole is not specifically T2D related, as it covers general healthy living. Because it's more of a general health series, I stumbled across that episode by chance through a Spotify recommendation.

Fortunately my ALT at my last annual blood test in December was 17 and my HbA1c was 46. I track my BGs and my averages are around 7.5mmol/L over the last 90 days according to my app. I've lost 21lbs over the last 12 months, which is a miracle as I have always find it hard to shift weight - BMI is now 26 vs a starting number of 32.

I try to cook as much as I can from scratch, though am still guilty of the odd bag of crisps or square of dark chocolate here and there (both of which appear to be well tolerated with no major BG spikes), so fingers crossed I'm doing something right.

This might be of some interest to you, it breaks down the different fat stores in the body and what affects them and how they affect the body. Not specifically diabetes related but I think it's relevant nonetheless.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back