News Article - Weird Comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say thats rubbish....................even after surgery the body mass is still there so the insulin produced will still have a hard time doing its job, at least until the weight drops, but even then there still diabetic

.............Weird comment by the Consultant Surgeon, he says after surgery the patients diabeties is resolved! Uh? Surely that's badly reported or am I missing something?...........
In my opinion, it is possible that a Type 2s situation might be improved but only because the patient will not be eating as much starchy carbohydrate after the operation as they were before having the procedure.

John

No, not rubbish, a number of people who undergo bariatric surgery have had an almost immediate remission of diabetes symptoms, sometimes within days and well before losing large amounts of weight.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_102239.html

The remission may not work in the same way for all procedures . A meta ananlysis in 2009 found that 56% of patients experienced remission of symptoms after gastric banding, 80.3% after a Roux en Y gastric bypass and 95% after a bilio pancreatic diversion.
Reading quickly it seems to me that the diabetes remission after gastric banding occurs following weight loss but there is another mechanism working for the other(more invasive) procedures.
This paper discusses recent studies and the various hypotheses as to why it may work
http://www.ccjm.org/content/77/7/468.full

These are very serious ops though and all operations carry more risk if the person is overweight, so not a 'magic' cure.

Last edited:
I think the articles posted are focusing on the money saved from weight loss surgeries as the patients no longer needs to take insulin or other meds quite quickly after surgery..............this may not last forever if the wrong foods are eaten and a healthy lifestyle is not maintained.....which in america might be a difficult task...........sorry if theres any americans here........😉

Yup appreciate the article is about saving money but I was under the impression diabeties could not be cured or go into remission..

I'm type 2 and have always been told its just a slippery downhill path to type 1 by my local nurse/gp.

Just curious really, i'm not overweight at all and therefore the surgery wasnt an issue, just a bit perplexed🙂

I was lead to believe that if your type2, your always type 2 even if you do need insulin.......only if your own body attacks the beta cells within the pancraes can you be type 1........the question there then would be, is that possible after many years as type 2?

As of yet no types can be cured, with gastric bypasses or any other surgery, alleviated symptoms yes.............

. I would agree that economic costs and benefits are part of the focus of the first article, not surprising on a US government site and given the costs of diabetes treatment, a valid emphasis.
However if you read the second paper you will see that the the remission continues for at least the medium term.
10 years after undergoing bilio pancreatic diversion , 98% of the 312 patients were still in complete remission of diabetes and in another trial 7.6 years following gastric bypass, 83% of the diabetic patients were off their antidiabetic drugs, and 99% of those with impaired glucose tolerance were normoglycemic, with normal fasting glucose and hemoglobin A1c levels.

These findings, but particularly the immediate remission were as with many medical advances, a chance finding, doctors initially expected people to lose weight and then reduce their diabetes symptoms, but the loss of symptoms was immediate, why should that be unless there is something else going on?

Scientists are now trying to find out and there is a now large amount of animal research going on which shows similar results in animal models. They are now attempting to isolate the actual mechanism. eg (but there are lots)
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100512112137.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back