News about GPs and long term care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peely66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Did anyone else hear on the news this morning about Doctor's leaders in negotiations to "pause" long term care. The example given was diabetes care. Hope I don't alarm anyone unnecessarily although I was slightly alarmed.

I'm not sure my surgery could do much less for me.

I'm beginning to wonder if I dreamt it as I can't find anything on BBC news website or in a search of google...

Last edited:
My GP surgery does not care for my diabetes. I understood the usual in England is for people with Type 1 to be under the care of a dedicated diabetes clinic, usually in a hospital.

My GP surgery does not care for my diabetes. I understood the usual in England is for people with Type 1 to be under the care of a dedicated diabetes clinic, usually in a hospital.
I'm not and haven't been for 11 years plus as my care was taken over by my GP.

I was, to start with, but after a couple of years the hospital said that because my diabetes was controlled and stable, they were discharging me back to my GP for all care, with the proviso that I could ask to be referred back at any time.
I did ask to be referred back, in order to get the Libre, so I now have a telephone check with the hospital every 6 months, which says that if it is found that I would benefit from a consultant appointment I will be given one.
Meanwhile my GP nurse still does my foot checks, BP, etc, but @Peely66 is right, there was something in the news about suspending the checks, I’ll have a rummage.
Edit. Here's the only reference I can find,

Last edited:
I was, to start with, but after a couple of years the hospital said that because my diabetes was controlled and stable, they were discharging me back to my GP for all care, with the proviso that I could ask to be referred back at any time.
I did ask to be referred back, in order to get the Libre, so I now have a telephone check with the hospital every 6 months, which says that if it is found that I would benefit from a consultant appointment I will be given one.
Meanwhile my GP nurse still does my foot checks, BP, etc, but @Peely66 is right, there was something in the news about suspending the checks, I’ll have a rummage.
Edit. Here's the only reference I can find,
Thanks for that link @Robin

I've never had the option to go back to hospital care which is an issue I've documented elsewhere on here and is very frustrating when you need some extra support and as complications start to become evident.

I've been waiting for 2 months for a call to go for a blood test as I was told I was on a waiting list. Rang today and no record of being on a waiting list!

On the plus side in my search for support I've learnt a lot from coming on here.

It has been a weird old time with so many of the regular appointments just disappearing. And then them running out of vials just when I was due to have a phone check-up. Not had an A1c for 18 months.

My care has been functional, and I feel lucky that things like my pump swap were done remotely / via video. Retinal screening happened too. But I’ve had pretty much nothing diabetes-wise from my GP surgery apart from electronic prescription processing.

And the pressure on the primary care system just seems to be ramping up all the more :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back