Newmarket baby becomes UK's youngest organ donor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A baby that died 74 minutes after birth has become the UK's youngest organ donor.

The parents of Hope Lee had known for months she would have a short lifespan due to a brain and skull condition.

Emma and Andrew Lee, from Newmarket, agreed Hope's kidneys would be made available for transplant.

Mr Lee said: "There's an adult lady out there who is doing very well, so a lot of good has come out of it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-34976019

How brave!

Ah bless them, what a sad decision to have to make. Hope it brought them some comfort to know that a life has been saved.

Well that's the sort of philosophy I have always plumped for Redkite, ever since I first signed up to be an organ donor - and the kids have been told in no uncertain terms that they need to make this apparent asap - and to make ruddy sure nobody gets my pancreas! LOL

I hate eyes - but if someone can benefit from either of our cornea(s) that would be Ace.

And I'm sure we have heard parents on TV say they were pleased to think that their child - even though losing them was devastating of course - had actually helped someone else, when they died. It seemed to bring some comfort, though that sounds a weird thing to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back