Newly Type 1, Newly Pregnant. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beach Bubbles

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

I was diagnosed type 1 in January of this year. I've been having really high levels, in the mid 20's, and couldn't get them down. The diabetes nurse asked if I could be pregnant as it's apparently a very early sign, to which I said I didn't think so, and if I was, it would be incredible. I'm 41, have 1 ovary, and PCOS. However, I tested this morning, and low and behold, 2 lines appeared. Now, pregnancy in itself isn't a new thing for me, this is actually my 8th pregnancy, and all being well my 6th baby, but it is the first time I'd be doing it with diabetes in play.

I have always taken things in my stride and been very calm about pregnancy and labour, but having now read about these things when diabetes is involved, I'm trying to stop myself spiralling in to a panic! It seems there is so much that can go wrong, and I wonder if I'm in too early days of diagnosis and having my levels under control for this to go well? Obviously I haven't been taking folic acid.

I realise I've rambled on a bit here, but if anyone has any advice to offer, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Hi @Beach Bubbles Well, you’ve identified the two most important things: strict control and high dose folic acid (has to be prescribed). So, give your diabetes team a call. They should have a Pregnancy DSN and will be able to guide and support you. They’ll also tell you if they can email a folic acid prescription to your GP or whether you should sort that. If they can’t, or for some reason you can’t get hold of your team, phone your GP and ask for an urgent prescription of the high dose folic acid (5mg). Don’t be deterred by the receptionist. Politely push to get that prescription asap.

Do you have any idea how many weeks you are?

Hi @Beach Bubbles Well, you’ve identified the two most important things: strict control and high dose folic acid (has to be prescribed). So, give your diabetes team a call. They should have a Pregnancy DSN and will be able to guide and support you. They’ll also tell you if they can email a folic acid prescription to your GP or whether you should sort that. If they can’t, or for some reason you can’t get hold of your team, phone your GP and ask for an urgent prescription of the high dose folic acid (5mg). Don’t be deterred by the receptionist. Politely push to get that prescription asap.

Do you have any idea how many weeks you are?
I'm very early, about 4 weeks, I'd not have even suspected had the nurse nor asked the question and said high sugars were an indication. I will call them this morning and get the ball rolling, thank you for replying.

That’s good news then @Beach Bubbles At least you’ve spotted it early so can get right in and do everything you should 🙂 I’ve had three pregnancies with Type 1 and I found all the support excellent.

My pregnancy wasn’t planned and although we didn’t have an easy time my daughter was and is very healthy and perfect despite being a grumpy teen now.

Speak to your DSN asap today and get yourself booked in with the pregnancy team, there will be loads of support now for you.

Congratulations, and try not to panic.

Ask as many questions here as you need and we also don’t mind a rant, few people in your life will understand the diabetes but we definitely do so please post as you like. We are here.

Keep us updated and take care of yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back