Newly Registered on Forum

alun4

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi, I am hoping to gain knowledge as I tested prediabetic in March 2019 and have not heard anything from the nurse that advised me so have a telephone appointment next Monday!

Lizzzie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello Alun4 and good luck with your new journey..... what do you want to find out?

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
If you are prediabetic it will mean that your glucose levels are above normal and that you are in danger of developing T2 diabetes.

Have you taken any steps so far to alter your diet or level of exercise?
In a simple terms your body is not producing enough insulin to balance with amount of glucose that is in your blood. This is coming from any carbohydrates (not just sugars) that you eat.

A good step between now and your appointment on Monday could be to familiarise yourself with the sources of carbohydrate. This is in the obvious sources such as cereals, potatoes, rice, pasta cakes and biscuits. They are also in all vegetables and fruits but to different degrees. Have a look at the labels in any foods you are eating and look for the total carbohydrates (ignore the of which sugar as that is irrelevant).

You could keep a food diary between now and Monday, calculate the amount of carbs you are eating. This will give you some information on which to base the discussions that you have.

Come back with any questions that arise from this and from your reading of various threads on here.

Toucan

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello @alun4 and welcome to the forum.
There is some helpful information on the main Diabetes UK web site regarding pre Diabetes and the steps you can take to help reduce the chances of full Diabetic diagnosis.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/preventing-type-2-diabetes/can-diabetes-be-prevented

I hope all goes well with your nurses appointment, and hope you keep posting and let us know how thing progress for you.
We will always try to answer any questions you may have.

LucyDUK

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi @alun4
Welcome to the forum. There's lots of information and support here for you and if you have any questions just ask.
Let us know how your appointment goes on Monday.

KARNAK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello @alun4 welcome to the forum, just keep us up to date please and thankyou for joining
our great forum.:)

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello, welcome to the forum. :) I was pre-diabetic, they made me drink sweet stuff and wait hours in the waiting room reading Hellos. I had a chance to turn it around, agh why didn't I?

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello, welcome to the forum. :) I was pre-diabetic, they made me drink sweet stuff and wait hours in the waiting room reading Hellos. I had a chance to turn it around, agh why didn't I?
That is a Glucose Tolerance Test, I believe these days it is not recommended for diagnosis other than Gestational diabetes.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @alun4

Hope you can treat your prediabetes results as a motivator to make some healthier changes. Many people who arrive on the forum having been told that their BG levels are just starting to rise towards diabetes-diagnosis-levels are able to turn things around, and end up feeling more energised and healthier than they have in years, so it can be a good thing!

What have you been doing differently for the past 15 months?

Have you cut down on sweet things and considered reducing your carbohydrate intake generally? The idea of a food diary that @SB2015 suggested is a good one.