Newly diagnosed

Mayroses

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi. I’ve recently crossed the A1c threshold and I’m struggling to understand why…maybe hereditary. I’m only slightly overweight and I’m so active everyone calls me the energizer bunny. I have familial high cholesterol over 300. I’ve always tried to eat healthy but I guess I’m doing it wrong. Hoping your lessons and forums might give me more clues. I’m not on any meds except for glaucoma right now. Losing even a pound is a struggle.

Hi. I’ve recently crossed the A1c threshold and I’m struggling to understand why…maybe hereditary. I’m only slightly overweight and I’m so active everyone calls me the energizer bunny. I have familial high cholesterol over 300. I’ve always tried to eat healthy but I guess I’m doing it wrong. Hoping your lessons and forums might give me more clues. I’m not on any meds except for glaucoma right now. Losing even a pound is a struggle.
Welcome to the forum. Many feel they have a healthy diet but sadly it may not be so if your body has a problem metabolising carbohydrate often because your pancreas produces enough insulin but it is not able to be used efficiently so blood glucose is raised. The way of managing this is to reduce your intake of carbs so your body can cope, losing weight if needed will also help.
As you are on no medication then a low carbohydrate approach would be suitable if that suits you, it can also lead to reduced cholesterol as well. Have a look at this link for some ideas and information about that approach. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
People often try low calorie or a soups and shakes regime to give a kick start but whatever you choose had to be enjoyable otherwise it is not sustainable, it need to be a new way of eating for life.

Welcome to the forum @Mayroses
As you are just over the threshold (I assume that's for Pre diabetic) and not on any meds, I would think that the 5:2 diet may suit you, just to shift 1 to 2 lbs a week.

The problem is there are so many diets out there, that it can be a minefield to find one that suits and is sustainable

Alan 😉

Hi @Mayroses and welcome to the forum!

Sadly the 'healthy fads' change often and don't fit each and every single person in the same way. At the same time what's considered 'healthy' for one diagnosis is not always the same for another. There's some basic information about food on our website, but you might also find it useful to go through the topics in the forum's Food category - it's sometimes easier to find something that would work for you when reading about other people's experience.

Back