Newly diagnosed

AmyT

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

Newly diagnosed with type 2, it was along time coming but still a shock. Biggest thing I'm worried about is food. I scared of what I can and should be eating, scared on missing out with friends when going out. Just scared in general that I won't get it right and it's going to cause issues and problems at home when it comes to meals
Any help or advice on good meals etc would be much appreciated.
X

Hi all,

Newly diagnosed with type 2, it was along time coming but still a shock. Biggest thing I'm worried about is food. I scared of what I can and should be eating, scared on missing out with friends when going out. Just scared in general that I won't get it right and it's going to cause issues and problems at home when it comes to meals
Any help or advice on good meals etc would be much appreciated.
X
Welcome to the forum, that is the biggest quandary that people have and what dietary changes you need to make will to a large extend depend on what your HbA1C is as that will indicate how far into the diabetic zone you are and also if you have been prescribed any medication.
However many find a low carb approach is successful so have a look at this link for some idea for modifying your diet. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
There is no need to feel you are missing out as there is plenty you can still eat. It is just a matter of making good choices just as somebody who has a food intolerance would have to do and your friends and relatives should respect that.

Welcome to the forum @AmyT

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis :(

How long have your BG levels been creeping upwards? Did you make significant changes to your menu, but not see the effects you had expected? Is there a family history of T2?

I only ask because at 35 you are right in the middle of the zone where people can get mis-classified in terms of their diabetes type. There are forms of autoimmune diabetes that can come on much more slowly in some adults, sometimes over several years. And if early raised glucose levels are picked up at a routine healthcheck some of the ‘red flags’ (eg unintentional weight loss) may not yet have happened, and people can be assumed to be T2, but whose diabetes may have another cause.

It might be worth keeping this in mind if your early treatment plan and any meds that are recommended don’t seem to work as expected?

Try not to worry about ‘right and wrong’ foods - what really matters is finding a flexible, sustainable, and enjoyable way of eating that gets your weight where you want it, and which your metabolism can deal with in terms of glucose levels.

There are two main approaches to diabetes management that are popular on the forum (with many variants among them). One is to focus on weight loss, particularly weight around the abdomen which can indicate visceral fat built up around organs like the liver and pancreas, stopping them working properly. Many members using this approach find that glucose levels improve naturally as their weight reduces - particularly if using a short term intervention such as the Newcastle / 800 calorie diet. You could check out the NHS Path to Remission programme to see if it appeals.

The other approach is to focus on blood glucose management with a lower carbohydrate way of eating (typically less than 130g of carbohydrates a day). Reducing portions of all carbohydrates, not just the obvious sweet and sugary things, but bread, pasta, potatoes, grains, rice, and many fruits. Many members using this approach find that weight reduces naturally as their glucose levels improve.

Of course there are some that use a combination approach too!

Good luck finding an approach that works for you.

It's great to have you join the forum @AmyT ...yes I agree with you about your fears about what you can or can't eat..because every person whose diagnosed with diabetes has those same fears..for example I had them when I was diagnosed T1D in early 2022...but as @everydayupsanddowns has so pointed out try not to worry about foods that are "good" or "bad"...and find the right approach which will benefit you in the long run...and you'll be OK

Back