Newly diagnosed

Status
Not open for further replies.

traceyd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello thanks for letting me join. I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I previously had gestational diabetes but over 23 years ago. I have been prescribed metformin after a few days had to increase the dose to 2 in the morning 2 in the evening. I suddenly found myself feeling very nauseous and having diahorea so my nurse changed my tablets to slow release metformin. Unfortunately after three days feeling absolutely fine the indigestion, vomiting and diahorea have come back making me feel worse than ever my Dr has prescribed me anti sickness pills yesterday so yet to collect but I feel absolutely drained and I carnt afford to keep having time of work. Has any one else had these symptoms with taking metformin and what did you find the best solution was thankyou

Hello thanks for letting me join. I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I previously had gestational diabetes but over 23 years ago. I have been prescribed metformin after a few days had to increase the dose to 2 in the morning 2 in the evening. I suddenly found myself feeling very nauseous and having diahorea so my nurse changed my tablets to slow release metformin. Unfortunately after three days feeling absolutely fine the indigestion, vomiting and diahorea have come back making me feel worse than ever my Dr has prescribed me anti sickness pills yesterday so yet to collect but I feel absolutely drained and I carnt afford to keep having time of work. Has any one else had these symptoms with taking metformin and what did you find the best solution was thankyou
Welcome to the forum
Yes some people do get exactly what you describe, usually the dose is increased more slowly over a period of weeks rather than just a few days. Taking with food, mid meal is often better but if you are still having a bad reaction to slow release cutting back on the dose may help and allow your stomach to adjust.
What is your HbA1C as that will give an indication of how far into the diabetic zone you are, if not too far then dietary measures alone may be sufficient but in any case even with metformin changes in diet are needed.

This link https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/ which is a low carb approach may give you some ideas but I expect you may have some knowledge from your gestational diabetes days though ideas about managing diabetes have changed in recent years.

Thank you for your advice I'm not sure what my levels were it was all a bit of a mind blow I've only had blood done once some more due in three weeks time. All I know it was very high and was told out of control I presume why I have to take so many tablets just feel awful every day I have been carb counting my nurse suggested the carb and cal book which I found very useful unsure how many carbs I should be having a day I've gone for 150 and less. Gutted though as put on half a stone in two weeks thought it would be the other way round

Metformin is a very effective drug but there are alternatives if you're really struggling with the side effects. I was well into the diabetic zone when first diagnosed but metformin wasn't appropriate for me. I was given Sitagliptin which is just one tablet a day.

Give yourself time to breathe and take stock. It's all so very alarming when you're first diagnosed but you will find loads of useful threads on here so keep logging in. Following a low carb approach is a good place to start. Everything will become easier and clearer with time and you will soon begin to feel much less overwhelmed.

Metformin is a very effective drug but there are alternatives if you're really struggling with the side effects. I was well into the diabetic zone when first diagnosed but metformin wasn't appropriate for me. I was given Sitagliptin which is just one tablet a day.

Give yourself time to breathe and take stock. It's all so very alarming when you're first diagnosed but you will find loads of useful threads on here so keep logging in. Following a low carb approach is a good place to start. Everything will become easier and clearer with time and you will soon begin to feel much less overwhelmed.
Thankyou for your reply its very reassuring just feel so poorly at the moment with the consent nauseous feeling

Thank you for your advice I'm not sure what my levels were it was all a bit of a mind blow I've only had blood done once some more due in three weeks time. All I know it was very high and was told out of control I presume why I have to take so many tablets just feel awful every day I have been carb counting my nurse suggested the carb and cal book which I found very useful unsure how many carbs I should be having a day I've gone for 150 and less. Gutted though as put on half a stone in two weeks thought it would be the other way round
Yes I found Carbs and Cals book very useful, it was and still is my bible supplemented by looking on packets and the internet for the carbs in various foods. The suggested amount of carbs is no more than 130g per day so you might want to tighten up what you are having a bit more.
I would ask what your HbA1C is as that is important to know where your starting point is, the actual number, not just high, very high or whatever. It will be a number above 47mmol/mol.

Thankyou for your reply its very reassuring just feel so poorly at the moment with the consent nauseous feeling
I suggest you go back to your doctor and say you just cannot tolerate the metformin and ask for an alternative.

Yes I found Carbs and Cals book very useful, it was and still is my bible supplemented by looking on packets and the internet for the carbs in various foods. The suggested amount of carbs is no more than 130g per day so you might want to tighten up what you are having a bit more.
I would ask what your HbA1C is as that is important to know where your starting point is, the actual number, not just high, very high or whatever. It will be a number above 47mmol/mol.
Thankyou I wasn't given any advice on how many carbs I needed to count so took a lucky guess at 150 I will try 130 I have an appointment in a few weeks with my nurse so will ask for more clarification then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back