Newly diagnosed Type2

adamjp

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just wanted to say Hi guys and girls. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes (55) around 8 weeks ago and prescribed Metformin and Atorvastatin. Doing not to bad so far , shed nearly 2 stone by cutting out all the rubbish and watching what I'm eating. Still trying to get my head round all this Carb stuff - is there a good android app for helping track your intake.

Docb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @adamjp and welcome to the forum. Well, you seemed to have cracked the first principle - getting rid of excess weight is a very good idea when it comes to getting on top of T2. Two stones in two months is good going, how much further do you have to go?

The carb stuff can be as complicated or as simple as you like. My method is to start simple and worry about the complications when I have got that sorted. So in simple terms, carbohydrate, that is sugars and starches, convert to glucose in the gut and that glucose is absorbed into the blood stream. If the body for some reason cannot process that glucose, the glucose level in the blood rises and if that gets too high for too long then it can have long lasting effects. Again, in simple terms, reducing the amount of carbohydrate intake reduces the amount of glucose absorbed into the blood and brings your blood glucose down.

When getting the subtleties sorted out then go for the low hanging fruit and do what you have done which is to cut out the rubbish which in this regard means sweet stuff and snacks, most of which are carb based with sugar added to make them palatable. If its heavily advertised, comes in a brightly coloured packet with lots of good words on the front saying its organic, healthy, low everything and wonderful then pass it by. Look at the nutritional label on the back it will tell you all you need to know.

There are apps about but I have found I don't need one. I am sure others who do use them will come along with their recommendations.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Felinia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just wanted to say Hi guys and girls. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes (55) around 8 weeks ago and prescribed Metformin and Atorvastatin. Doing not to bad so far , shed nearly 2 stone by cutting out all the rubbish and watching what I'm eating. Still trying to get my head round all this Carb stuff - is there a good android app for helping track your intake.
I use NutraCheck to monitor my carb intake and you can get a 1 week free trial to see if it suits. Then you pay monthly. DUK suggests less than 130gm per day, but many members go a lot lower. I aim for 60gm - 90gm per day. There are other apps as well

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well done on the weight loss so far.

A spreadsheet works for me. I track carbs, calories, fats, protein and fibre. I also keep a food diary alongside my finger prick test results so that I have a record of what effect different meals had on my BG.

Martin

Madeline

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My Fitness Pal is good, has a very extensive database of foods added, and helps track macronutrients as well as calories. I combine it with an app to log my BG results so I can cross reference what I ate with unexpected results

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Welcome to the forum Adam from a fellow T2.