Newly diagnosed type 2. Looking for help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abi Jukes

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I have only been diagnosed for a few weeks - type 2. Please can I ask as I am confused . So, I know I am looking at labels and foods/meals - nurse said not to have over 5 in all food I eat? So is this in total or each food type? Also I am vegetarian and LOVE yoghurt - struggling to find one other than fat free natural that are too sour!? Thank you for reading x

I never eat anything 'low fat' as it all tastes foul. I would buy ordinary natural yogurt, I luvs it over berries, tastes scrumptious, better even than cream. 🙂

Hi. I'm not sure what your nurse meant by 'over 5'? Can you clarify. Avoid 'low-fat' anything as our problem is too many carbs and fat is not a problem. Yes, just have natural yogurt. I have fruit yogurt using sweeteners to keep the carbs down.

Full fat creamy Greek style natural yoghurt (Lidl and Aldi both do really nice ones in 1kg tubs) that is delicious. The full fat yoghurt helps to keep you from feeling hungry between meals because fat digests slower than carbs and releases it's energy over many hours whereas carbs are pretty well gone by 2 hours which is why many people often need a snack between meals. If you are reducing your carb intake then fat becomes your alternative source of energy, so don't be frightened of having full fat products like milk and yoghurt and cheese and coleslaw and mayonnaise.

Have a look at this link for a good explanation of what you should be looking for when making your dietary changes I'm afraid the no more than 5 makes no sense in terms of your carbohydrate intake. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
If you are following a low carbohydrate diet then a good starting point is no more than 130g total carbs per day spread among your meals, drinks and any snacks so no one meal is overloading your system with carbs.
Full fat Greek yoghurt is a favourite of many to which they add berries, nuts or seeds. High protein yoghurts or Kvarg deserts are also good as they are low carb.

Have a look at this link for a good explanation of what you should be looking for when making your dietary changes I'm afraid the no more than 5 makes no sense in terms of your carbohydrate intake. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
If you are following a low carbohydrate diet then a good starting point is no more than 130g total carbs per day spread among your meals, drinks and any snacks so no one meal is overloading your system with carbs.
Full fat Greek yoghurt is a favourite of many to which they add berries, nuts or seeds. High protein yoghurts or Kvarg deserts are also good as they are low carb.
This is great, thanks so
Much. Makes much more sense now. Will have a look.

It depends on your taste.
I eat quark and kefir.
That’s great, well done x
Full fat creamy Greek style natural yoghurt (Lidl and Aldi both do really nice ones in 1kg tubs) that is delicious. The full fat yoghurt helps to keep you from feeling hungry between meals because fat digests slower than carbs and releases it's energy over many hours whereas carbs are pretty well gone by 2 hours which is why many people often need a snack between meals. If you are reducing your carb intake then fat becomes your alternative source of energy, so don't be frightened of having full fat products like milk and yoghurt and cheese and coleslaw and mayonnaise.
thanks so much for this, so confusing isn’t it starting out . Will try some of this yoghurt. I presume by what the nurse was telling me that I reducing card intake?! X

Hi. I'm not sure what your nurse meant by 'over 5'? Can you clarify. Avoid 'low-fat' anything as our problem is too many carbs and fat is not a problem. Yes, just have natural yogurt. I have fruit yogurt using sweeteners to keep the carbs down.
Hi, thank you for this reply. Yes when I spoke to nurse when diagnosed from blood test. She said I had to read all labels and go for food / meals / snacks that were under 5g carbs of which saturates?! Do you mind me asking what fruit yogh brand you buy and which sweetener you use? ☺️ x

Thanks you so much for this x

Hi, thank you for this reply. Yes when I spoke to nurse when diagnosed from blood test. She said I had to read all labels and go for food / meals / snacks that were under 5g carbs of which saturates?! Do you mind me asking what fruit yogh brand you buy and which sweetener you use? ☺️ x
I think your nurse might have been advising low fat if she wants you to look for under 5% saturated fat - which will have no impact on your after meal readings at all.
It is a common misconception that lower fat foods are better, and saturated fat is not good for us - well I suppose as our brain and nervous system is mostly built of fat, and our hormones are fat based too it is all to make us slow of mind and body.

Low carb is less than 10g per 100g and low fat is less than 5g per 100g. That could be what the nurse was referring to but it sounds like she / he didn’t do a sterling job explaining themselves :rofl:

If you follow a low carb approach to tackling your diabetes, then replacing the carbs with fat is advisable but healthy fats. Don’t rush out and eat blocks of lard!

Most low fat processed food (including yogurt) has the fat replaced with emulsifiers and sweeteners which are ridiculously high carb. Full fat on the other hand is low carb and tastes sooooo much better.

My yogurt of choice is full fat Greek from Morrisons. Other supermarkets are available.

Don’t panic, it does get easier. Keep asking questions on here. You will always get a sensible answer.

which sweetener
When I was first diagnosed I found Xylitol to be the best sugar substitute. But around five years in, the price went through the roof so I went cold turkey. You can find it in supermarkets under a variety of product names to try. In Tesco it's Pure Via, Asda & Sainsburys it's Pure Sweet. If it works for you you can buy larger quantities online. I used to buy from here.

I gave up on trying to find a sweetener that I like and I never use it in yoghurt and your tastes change so that you learn to enjoy the natural sweetness of things.... even sour things like blackcurrants. The only thing I draw the line at is rhubarb and I just can't get away with eating that unsweetened, so I will be breaking out all the various containers of sweeteners I have bought over the last 4 years and using a little to stew my rhubarb. If I use a little of each I don't get too strong an aftertaste as they are all slightly different, but what I find disappointing is that, despite all hype about them being x times sweeter than sugar, not of them are even remotely as sweet..... Maybe my taste buds are broken but almost everything tastes better without than with sweetener.... stewed rhubarb being the exception.... and I love rhubarb and it is so good for you and it grows like a forest in my garden!
Anyway, good luck with finding something that works for you but be assured your tastes will change if you persevere.... but not sure I would want to persevere with fat free yoghurt and anyway, with a low carb diet, that fat is my source of energy so why would I avoid it.

If you follow a low carb approach to tackling your diabetes, then replacing the carbs with fat is advisable but healthy fats. Don’t rush out and eat blocks of lard!
Nothing wrong with a block of lard or dripping or butter, but not sure I can say the same for seed oils. 🙄
I always laugh when people talk about "healthy fats" as no one can agree which are healthy, but for me natural fats like animal fats and dairy and olive oil are what I consider healthy. Generally I just reserve the fat that comes out of any meat I buy (I deliberately buy fatty meat) and just cook with that so I very rarely buy fat or oil.

Watch out for seed oils, as I found that I needed factor 50 when using sunflower oil as 'the healthy fat' in my cooking.
Since replacing cooking oil with animal fat my tolerance for sunlight has increased, I no longer turn lobster pink in the sun and feel that I am being tortured - in fact in the heatwave last year I was able to go out without any sun screen if it was for just a short while, and I ended up with a tan for the first time since my 20s.

Low carb is less than 10g per 100g and low fat is less than 5g per 100g. That could be what the nurse was referring to but it sounds like she / he didn’t do a sterling job explaining themselves :rofl:

Most low fat processed food (including yogurt) has the fat replaced with emulsifiers and sweeteners which are ridiculously high carb. Full fat on the other hand is low carb and tastes sooooo much better.

My yogurt of choice is full fat Greek from Morrisons. Other supermarkets are available.

Don’t panic, it does get easier. Keep asking questions on here. You will always get a sensible answer.
Thank you so much for this, so mind boggling at first isn’t it. I imagine it does get easier, just so much info to think about isn’t there. Will try that yoghurt and yes I will definately post on here x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back