Newly diagnosed type 2 hbac1 97

Finewine76

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi
As the title says I'm still new and I'm struggling a bit! I am on 4 metformin a day an shave been trying to eat better. From June until about 3 weeks ago I was managing ok. I've not lost weight since diagnosis but I'm not massively over weight anyway. My issue is that before diagnosis I was craving sweet things really bad, like even changing out of pjs to go to the shop! I got the diagnosis and was brilliant. I started the metformin too. As I said no weight lost despite cutting the sweets. Now I am still taking the metformin but my god the cravings have come back tenfold ans I have a strange sweet taste in my mouth all the time. I'm giving in and eating liquorice all sorts ams diablo biscuits but I know it's still jot good for me. Why have I suddenly started craving again so bad! Has anyone else had this? My hba1c was 97 in June then 76 in august if that makes a difference.
Thank you

Welcome to the forum @Finewine76

Sorry to hear you have suddenly been hit by cravings again. :(

With an HbA1c at 97, and then 76 it feels like quantities of glucose from the carbohydrates in your meals (sugars yes, but also starchy carbs like rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, pastry, grains, cereals and many fruits) is staying in your blood stream, and your body isn't able to process it properly. Which I think can trigger the body to request more energy because it 'knows' some has gone missing?

You may also be feeling quite tired and lethargic, and may have slightly blurry vision?

Metformin can give rise to a metallic taste in the mouth in some people, or perhaps the sweetness is linked to your raised glucose levels?

If you've not got much additional weight to lose it may help to focus on reducing the overall carb intake in various meals. Not trying to avoid carbs entirely, but reducing portion sizes of obvious starchy carbs, looking for lower-carb swaps like swede/celeriac instead of potato, and altering the balance of meals to reduce their carb load?

Many forum members interested in this approach aim for a total carb intake of less than 130g in carbs per day in the first instance.

There are some meal ideas here which may help?

Welcome to the forum @Finewine76

Sorry to hear you have suddenly been hit by cravings again. :(

With an HbA1c at 97, and then 76 it feels like quantities of glucose from the carbohydrates in your meals (sugars yes, but also starchy carbs like rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, pastry, grains, cereals and many fruits) is staying in your blood stream, and your body isn't able to process it properly. Which I think can trigger the body to request more energy because it 'knows' some has gone missing?

You may also be feeling quite tired and lethargic, and may have slightly blurry vision?

Metformin can give rise to a metallic taste in the mouth in some people, or perhaps the sweetness is linked to your raised glucose levels?

If you've not got much additional weight to lose it may help to focus on reducing the overall carb intake in various meals. Not trying to avoid carbs entirely, but reducing portion sizes of obvious starchy carbs, looking for lower-carb swaps like swede/celeriac instead of potato, and altering the balance of meals to reduce their carb load?

Many forum members interested in this approach aim for a total carb intake of less than 130g in carbs per day in the first instance.

There are some meal ideas here which may help?
Thank you for such a detailed reply. I will definitely look at my Carb intake.

Thank you for such a detailed reply. I will definitely look at my Carb intake.
You may find this link helpful as well as it is a low carb approach that many have found successful. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
The plans are based on the suggested no more than 130g carbs not just sugar per day but it is not NO carbs, it just needs better choices of the carbs you do have.
By cutting out the sweet things your taste will change and you will crave them less.
If you are into baking then there are recipes for low carb cakes, biscuits etc on sugarfreelondoner website.
Better to make a few sacrifices now than risk the unpleasant complications of high blood glucose

Are you testing your blood sugars? It's often suggested by medical professionals that we don't bother but it can really help to see what foods affect us as diabetes can be very individual like that. By testing before and after your meal, you can work out which foods are your personal benefit problem food. I find cravings are linked to when I've eaten something that sends my blood sugar high quickly then drops it low just as quickly - leaving me feel unwell and dissatisfied (wheat flour products are particularly bad for me in this regard).

When you were doing well straight after diagnosis, were you managing to eat your other nutrients in good amounts? I'm not on meds so I'm not an expert on eating whilst using metformin but one thing that I found out 'mopped up' my carb cravings was to increase the protein and good fat at each meal. When I've eaten a tasty meal that fills me up with good levels of fat/protein, I just don't have sweet cravings anymore (and I promise you I was a total carb monster with a very, very sweet tooth before this so no one is more surprised than me at this!)

Back