Newly diagnosed T1D and having cramps

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchsi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I’ve been diagnosed for about 3 weeks and have been experiencing odd cramps in fingers and feet. Is this something others have experienced with T1D or only when newly diagnosed?
My BG is typically in range, diet is quite good and fitness I guess on average not bad. Oh and drinking more water now than anytime previously, 1-2l per day.
It’s not all the time but it’s something new and uncomfortable although thinking back I had some cramp while developing T1D within July.

Thanks for any help,

Sometimes it can be linked to dehydration and/or high sugar @mitchsi Perhaps your electrolytes/minerals were thrown out of balance prior to diagnosis? Are you eating enough salt? Have you tried magnesium gel? It worked wonders when I got bad cramps in my calves.

Oh and drinking more water now than anytime previously, 1-2l per day.
If 1L a day is more than anytime previously then you’ve likely been drinking way too little before, you’re not drinking in excess now, still too little some days

Oh and drinking more water now than anytime previously, 1-2l per day.
Is that in addition to other things you drink, or do you mostly drink water? 1-2l a day of water, tea, coffee, etc., is pretty normal, I think. A mug typically holds ~300ml, so 3 of those is basically 1l.

@Lucyr, @Bruce Stephens it’s 1-2L per day the. Coffees on top of that so easily another 1-1.5L of coffee (was more a couple of months ago - bit of an addict).

@Inka Im a big fan of the ancient magnesium oil spray, I’ve not used it in a month or so since going on holiday but I should try that again. I’m not sure how to check my electrolytes but I’m consuming salt, however, reduced a little.

At least it doesn’t sound as a consequence of T1D to you folk.

At least it doesn’t sound as a consequence of T1D to you folk.
I'm not sure we're saying that. Thirst can be a symptom of high BG, but you say you don't have that. I'm sure drinking too much can be a symptom of other things. It can make it harder for the body to maintain its normal levels of things like sodium so there are potential risks.

A quick google search suggests the NHS recommends 6-8 glasses (where a glass is apparently 150-200ml, so around 1.2l): https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-we...ext=Daily fluid intake,glasses of fluid a day.

Whereas for Americans, 3.7l for men or 2.7l for women (though that includes from food): https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...So how much fluid does,fluids a day for women

Those seem like wildly different numbers so I'm inclined to think that what you're drinking isn't outside the normal range. But if your urine seems particularly pale then maybe you're drinking too much (I'm sure there are charts somewhere online). And if you're still worried, maybe mention it next time you see someone in healthcare?

I'm not sure we're saying that. Thirst can be a symptom of high BG, but you say you don't have that. I'm sure drinking too much can be a symptom of other things. It can make it harder for the body to maintain its normal levels of things like sodium so there are potential risks.

A quick google search suggests the NHS recommends 6-8 glasses (where a glass is apparently 150-200ml, so around 1.2l): https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/food-guidelines-and-food-labels/water-drinks-nutrition/#:~:text=Daily fluid intake,glasses of fluid a day.

Whereas for Americans, 3.7l for men or 2.7l for women (though that includes from food): https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256#:~:text=So how much fluid does,fluids a day for women

Those seem like wildly different numbers so I'm inclined to think that what you're drinking isn't outside the normal range. But if your urine seems particularly pale then maybe you're drinking too much (I'm sure there are charts somewhere online). And if you're still worried, maybe mention it next time you see someone in healthcare?
Yeah thanks, my 1st outpatient visit to my DSN is this Thursday and it’s one question on my list.

A quick google search suggests the NHS recommends 6-8 glasses (where a glass is apparently 150-200ml, so around 1.2l): https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/food-guidelines-and-food-labels/water-drinks-nutrition/#:~:text=Daily fluid intake,glasses of fluid a day.

Whereas for Americans, 3.7l for men or 2.7l for women (though that includes from food): https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256#:~:text=So how much fluid does,fluids a day for women

A google search for urine colour chart will give them, however various things can alter the colour, taking statins, eating beetroot for example but it will give a good indication of level of hydration.

A google search for urine colour chart will give them, however various things can alter the colour, taking statins, eating beetroot for example but it will give a good indication of level of hydration.
Thanks, urine colour is pretty decent, pale yellow to clear so I guess I’m drinking enough.

Sometimes it can be linked to dehydration and/or high sugar @mitchsi Perhaps your electrolytes/minerals were thrown out of balance prior to diagnosis? Are you eating enough salt? Have you tried magnesium gel? It worked wonders when I got bad cramps in my calves.
The last couple of nights I've had pretty severe cramp in my left calf. Hasn't really happened since pre diagnosis

I've just been googling magnesium gels to give one a try but usual thing of all the write ups seem to be either 1 star "must avoid" or 5 star "best ever" for every product!

Anyone got any ones that work for them?

I’ve used the ancient magnesium oil using salts from the zechstein sea or something before bed, it’s quite well absorbed. It’s good for relaxing and sleeping plus for a host of other things. Worth a try. I did use it and my cramps stopped but I’ve also stopped using it and my cramps didn’t return.

Thanks all will give it a try

Just thought I'd check back in on this. I tried taking some electrolytes too and they've worked wonders for me. I don't know if that's Statin based, T1D, general under hydration (I doubt it as I'm on 2L+ water a day) but in NY event I'm no longer being woken up at night with cramp in my left calf

Just mentioning to add it to the knowledge bank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back