Newly Diagnosed .. I Think?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_Hate_This

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,
First time poster
I’ll just ramble on about my recent experience and if anyone can offer advice then it’s greatly appreciated.
Im 32, BMI of around 58 and recently got blood tests for an unrelated issue. Results came and my blood sugars were “slightly elevated” then I had an appointment to discuss something else (I’m not always at the GP just having one of those months I swear!!) and GP stated he will repeat my bloods however he is confident they’ll likely come back with the same blood sugar reading and therefore that would make me diabetic. There was some numbers mentioned along the lines of “yours is 55 and anything over 48 is ___” but at this point I wasn’t taking much in.
I don’t know what this means for me. I know I need to lose weight.. I’ve heard people say type 2 “can be reversed” but what does this mean? I’m feeling really scared and uneducated about what is happening! I also didn’t fast before the bloods as wasn’t told to and I don’t know whether that’s important or not?!
Thanks to anyone who made it to the end of this, just feeling a bit lost.

Welcome to the forum, it can be very overwhelming at first but from what you say the test you had was an HbA1C which is an average blood glucose level over the previous 3 months so fasting is not required as it would make no difference. The result of 58mmol/mol definitely gives you a diabetes diagnosis as the threshold is 48mmol/mol but is not deperately high. It is however at a level to be taken seriously and losing some weight and gettting more exercise if you can, will help but the main change has to be looking at your diet and reducing your intake of carbohydrates as it is carbs which convert to glucose.
What people mean in saying Type 2 can be reversed or more realistically be regarded as being in remission is that by those lifestyle changes blood glucose can be reduced to normal which would be less than 42mmol/mol. Many have done just that so it is very possible.
This link gives a good explanation of how to make those dietary changes following a low carbohydrate approach which many have found successful in losing weight and reducing blood glucose. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
However some find that a low calorie or shakes-based regime is good at giving them a kick start.
Whatever you choose has to be enjoyable otherwise it will not be sustainable for the long term. Sadly there are no quick fixes and it requires effort on your part.
Have a look also at the Learning Zone as it will explain what you should expect for support and there are links which may also help you.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Does this mean I need to monitor my blood sugar with a device? Will I receive any specific advice/support from my GP on how to move forward?

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Does this mean I need to monitor my blood sugar with a device? Will I receive any specific advice/support from my GP on how to move forward?
It is a good idea to get a monitor but many find they need to self-fund as GP are not obliged to prescribe them for Type 2 diabetics unless they are on certain medication that could cause low blood glucose and often will say it is not necessary. The GlucoNavii or Spirtit TEE2 are monitors with the cheapest strips.
However by testing the effect various food and meals have on your blood glucose level it gives you the ability to make better food choices as everybody is different in their tolerance of carbs so no one size fits all.
Keeping a food diary of everything you eat and drink with an estimate of the TOTAL carbs (not just the 'sugar') will help you see how much work you need to do. A low carb approach suggests no more than 130g total carbs per day.
The book or app Carbs and Cals is really useful for a guide to portion sizes and carb values.

You should also get a foot check by your surgery and hopefully an appointment with a diabetic nurse. You should also be sent an appointment for a diabetic retinal eye screening; those are done in different places depending on the system in your area.

Hi All,
First time poster
I’ll just ramble on about my recent experience and if anyone can offer advice then it’s greatly appreciated.
Im 32, BMI of around 58 and recently got blood tests for an unrelated issue. Results came and my blood sugars were “slightly elevated” then I had an appointment to discuss something else (I’m not always at the GP just having one of those months I swear!!) and GP stated he will repeat my bloods however he is confident they’ll likely come back with the same blood sugar reading and therefore that would make me diabetic. There was some numbers mentioned along the lines of “yours is 55 and anything over 48 is ___” but at this point I wasn’t taking much in.
I don’t know what this means for me. I know I need to lose weight.. I’ve heard people say type 2 “can be reversed” but what does this mean? I’m feeling really scared and uneducated about what is happening! I also didn’t fast before the bloods as wasn’t told to and I don’t know whether that’s important or not?!
Thanks to anyone who made it to the end of this, just feeling a bit lost.

Yes it can be reversed, more so in early stages through weight loss.

Wife was told she was prediabetic, feeling she might have gone over threshold before going on diet, in total she lost 5 stone & all bloods since have been normal, at time told her about work of Prof Taylors Newcastle Diet & outcomes from it.

Hi @32andScared! welcome to the forum 🙂
I received my diagnosis on the 30th May like you it was a shock following a routine blood test, I found this forum and the help and support from wonderful people on here has been more informative and helpful than any other I have received. I bought the book carbs and cals, and started keeping a brutally honest food diary, taking note of the carbs in everything I ate, there were some surprises I didn't realise how many fruits were high in carbs and needed to rethink my whole diet, however this wasn't as difficult as I thought and I have become accustomed to it quicker than I would have believed, don't try and rush the reduction in carbs, I was advised to reduce carbs slowly. I no longer eat bread, pasta, cakes etc.
My progress so far is detailed in my signature.
I would also recommend going through the site it is full of valuable information, and the learning zone is very helpful.
I like many others self fund my blood glucose monitor and strips myself and at first took BG readings before every meal, 2 hours after first bite, on waking and going to bed.
Take care, good Luck and remember you can do this 🙂

Thank you all so much! If you manage to reverse or put your diabetes into remission, does this mean you no longer have it? Something I am struggling to understand is how diabetes is described as a lifelong condition but if it’s reversed, what happens then?

Thank you all so much! If you manage to reverse or put your diabetes into remission, does this mean you no longer have it? Something I am struggling to understand is how diabetes is described as a lifelong condition but if it’s reversed, what happens then?
My understanding is that even if you manage to control your BG sufficiently for it to be classed as remission you will have to be cautious and ensure that you don't allow BG's to get out of control again, I stress this is only my opinion but I am expecting to keep an eye on it 'ad infinitum', though I do expect to enjoy the odd 'naughty' treat again 😉

Welcome! Good advice above, it will take some time to get your head around it but it does get easier, well for the time being in my case anyway. Just has my latest diabetic meeting with nurse, my reading was 53 last Jan, now 38. Nurse told me I was their poster child lol! Told to go away and come back in a year. So am pleased, achieved by weight loss, some additional exercise and reducing carb intake quite drastically although many advise against this, I didn't know, just dived in to a new life. No normal bread, cereals, pastry, pizza, potatos, rice, pasta, sugar and sugar rich products, small portions of fruit only. But not all doom! Still have a drink, esp lager but not too much, takeaways, and other higher carb treats in moderation but have got used to not having sugary products now anyway. I eat low carb bread and rolls as a substitute for potatoes, cauliflower rice instead of rice, lots of meats, fried breakfasts,eggs, avocados, nuts, all sorts of veg, cheese, virtually zero carb savoury biscuits, high protein yoghurt things. Often have a full roast dinner, just one small potato though with a nice big brown buttered roll to make up the difference. When you het more used to it, and how things affect you you can experiment, the body is very odd thing but can be used to advantage! E.g. I have a beer before dinner, drops my blood sugar oddly, so have more headroom! Can't eat an apple, but if I have it with cheese no problem, weird. No sadly once diabetic it can never be cured, well based on todays science, but you can put it into remission, once it is you can experiment and maybe increase carbs a bit as the body will be working more efficiently, (weight loss, internal fat, exercise), if you overdo it on a particular meal a quick fast walk around the block has an an amazing reduction effect on b.g. readings. Eventually you will have most foods carb values in your head and need the meter less and less, I can virtually guess my readings without the meter now, just 'feel' it in my body. Plenty of info on forum and helpful posters!
OH and you will feel tons better, fitter, more agile, sleep better, more energy!

Yes, I agree. I have just been asked to update my information at work and list it as a lifelong condition for it to be added to their disability statistics and to allow any adjustments that I may need (time off for appointments etc) I intend to get into remission but will keep this on my record for ever. It's a good thing in a way, as it won't make a difference if I manage to kick it to the kerb, the help and monitoring will remain which can only be positive in keeping me healthy.

Hi @32andScared! and welcome 🙂

You have had some fabby advice already with regards to dietary changes so I won't go over that.
Just wanted to share a bit of my sis in laws experience with you.
She had a very high BMI (probably around 70-80) on diagnosis (her hba1c was 50) and the doctors started her on a medication group called GLP-1s
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...etes/tablets-and-medication/incretin-mimetics
It is skipping a bunch of steps in regards to the medications pathways and protocols but the med (usually given by a daily or weekly injection - in a pen with tiny needles that are the same as ones used for insulin) really helps with weight loss as well as helping keep the blood sugars under control.

Some doctors are starting to see the benefit of using this at diagnosis with peeps with a lot to loose since weight can play a huge part in t2d as well as other issues. It is something I would look into more and possibly bring up with your doctor when you get your time to talk to them. Not all GPs will be happy to break protocol but you might have a good one 😉 End of the day if they can help with weight loss and get you healthier, it is better all around for them (and you of course).

It isn't a miracle cure etc and you still need to work hard with dietary changes and exercise but it can make the journey a bit easier and shift weight faster. It can have gastric side effects so you should weigh up the pros and cons.

Nutracheck is the app I use for tracking carbs (for insulin dosing) and calories and never scanned a uk bar code and it come up empty yet. Also has most chain restaurants and food places info which I find essential for out and on the go decision making. (paid version, was under £30 for the year).

There are many pathways to getting to the desired goal which is better blood glucose levels and a healthier you.
Everyone here can tell you the ways you can get there but ultimately it is what works and is sustainable for you.

Wishing you every success :D

I appreciate all your advice and kind words so much! I felt really isolated the last few days but trying to realise this good be a good thing (?!) and will help me to focus on getting healthy….?
Something that is worrying me is also - driving, do I have to tell the DVLA? Can they stop me driving? And life insurance… I’ve just bought a house and I struggled to get life insurance with my BMI anyway. Is this a definite no for me now?!
Sorry for all my questions and if some of them are silly, I’m just a bit lost!

I appreciate all your advice and kind words so much! I felt really isolated the last few days but trying to realise this good be a good thing (?!) and will help me to focus on getting healthy….?
Something that is worrying me is also - driving, do I have to tell the DVLA? Can they stop me driving? And life insurance… I’ve just bought a house and I struggled to get life insurance with my BMI anyway. Is this a definite no for me now?!
Sorry for all my questions and if some of them are silly, I’m just a bit lost!
There is a link here about the rules for driving.
As far as I know it would depend on whether you are on any medication that could cause hypos. https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/life-with-diabetes/driving/driving-licence?
Not sure about your insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back