Newly diagnosed and gutted!

PCJ

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed last week. Overwhelmed and annoyed as the signs were there over 12 months ago not picked up by GP. Determined to regulate through lifestyle - all advice greatly appreciated. Just turned 48, relatively fit, BMI 23, quite a stressful job and now realise how crap my diet and eating habits have been over the years - skipping (several) meals daily and binge eating late after long hours! That's all changed in last 10 days but Bg all over the place.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome @PCJ :)

You say your blood sugar is all over the place - can you give us an idea of what results you’re getting? When are you testing? And what would an average day’s food intake look like for you now?

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @PCJ

Welcome to the forum!

How did you come to be diagnosed?

PCJ

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Welcome @PCJ :)

You say your blood sugar is all over the place - can you give us an idea of what results you’re getting? When are you testing? And what would an average day’s food intake look like for you now?
Hi, I test before food and 2hrs after, ranges from as low as 3.5 after exercise to up to 14.7 after food, I get a few stable readings between 6 and 8 then for no reason it goes again. Still trying to work out what does it. Now on three healthy meals a day, no sugar biscuits cakes etc, breakfast is porridge, lunch is fish or chicken with veg or salad, dinner mainly plant or quorn based. My hba1c was 107!!!

PCJ

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @PCJ

Welcome to the forum!

How did you come to be diagnosed?
Routine blood test for high ferritin But had afternoon tiredness too. Diabetic nurse Saw my levels by accident and called me immediately hba1c was 107!

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Routine blood test for high ferritin But had afternoon tiredness too. Diabetic nurse Saw my levels by accident and called me immediately hba1c was 107!
So you’ve a T2 diagnosis?

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Your testing regime is very good. Testing before and 2hrs after meals is excellent :) You sound very organised.

Were you just assumed to be Type 2? Did you have any symptoms at all?

PCJ

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Your testing regime is very good. Testing before and 2hrs after meals is excellent :) You sound very organised.

Were you just assumed to be Type 2? Did you have any symptoms at all?
Only symptom was tired in afternoon, but I start days early so didn’t think anything about it. Had high ferritin for a while but nobody suggested diabetes. T2 but Got some further appointments. I am determined to manage it naturally if I can but overwhelmed with it all.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I asked about symptoms in case you were an adult-onset Type 1 (often missed) :)

Pace yourself. Try not to let things overwhelm you. Just testing as you are is a fantastic start as many people don’t do that. Make gradual changes and allow yourself not to ‘be perfect’. Use your test results to see what foods work best for you. You’ve said your previous diet wasn’t very good so that’s positive in a way as any changes you make will be an improvement on that.

Don’t forget exercise too. Things like having a walk after a meal can really help. You don’t have to go mad.

Ask any questions you want. There are loads of helpful, sympathetic people here :)

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Only symptom was tired in afternoon, but I start days early so didn’t think anything about it. Had high ferritin for a while but nobody suggested diabetes. T2 but Got some further appointments. I am determined to manage it naturally if I can but overwhelmed with it all.
Hi, and welcome. I was 114 at diagnosis, so a little higher than you, but by adopting a Low Carb High Fat diet, losing some weight and exercising every day I managed to get it down to 35 at the last check. So don't despair - it is possible to make big improvements by following the diet/exercise/weight loss advice but it won't happen overnight. It took me almost a year.

Sounds like you have your testing regime sorted. If you haven't started already, keep a food diary alongside your post-prandial readings as this will help you work out what effect different meals have on your BG.

Any medication prescribed?

Martin

PCJ

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, and welcome. I was 114 at diagnosis, so a little higher than you, but by adopting a Low Carb High Fat diet, losing some weight and exercising every day I managed to get it down to 35 at the last check. So don't despair - it is possible to make big improvements by following the diet/exercise/weight loss advice but it won't happen overnight. It took me almost a year.

Sounds like you have your testing regime sorted. If you haven't started already, keep a food diary alongside your post-prandial readings as this will help you work out what effect different meals have on your BG.

Any medication prescribed?

Martin
Thanks for advice - reassuring. No meds so far, seeing what can be done through diet first as it was so poor before.

Mark C

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi PJC

I was diagnosed on Monday this week so have no advice to give you, save to say you're not alone in being distressed over the diagnosis. I'm sure we'll both accept it once we know what we're doing.

Just been shopping for the first time since and it's a different experience, checking the labels on everything.

ianf0ster

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi PCJ, and welcome to the forum.
It seems like you have been given some half decent advice about diet and testing to find out which foods your body likes.
However you are probably still thinking that the 'Eatwell Plate', whole grains, tropical fruit and below ground veg are good for you. Please test for yourself, but you will find that in general none of this is true.
Also you probably think that fat (especially saturated fat found in meat) is bad for you, or even that dietary cholesterol (such as in eggs) is bad for you. Again, none of this is true unless eaten to excess.

Indeed the worst fats are the highly processed seed oils that are high in Omega 6. These bad oils are marketed as vegetable oils, but nothing could be further from the truth, they're made by complex industrial processes and their use as food coincides with the rise in heart disease! They are nothing like Olive Oil which is just made from crushing Olives and which has been used for many centuries, as have Lard, Dripping, Butter all of which were used in large quantities by our great great grandparents in an age when heart disease and Type 2 diabetes were almost unheard of.

So I'm not surprised that your Blood Glucose is all over the place. For most (but not quite all) Type 2 Diabetics, a breakfast of Porridge is the perfect way to completely wreck your Blood Glucose level for the day. Instead try bacon and eggs, or cold meat or fatty fish - salmon, mackerel, kippers etc. , any style of eggs (but without toast), cheese, or even a handful of berries with plenty of full fat plain yogurt or double cream!

PCJ

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi PJC

I was diagnosed on Monday this week so have no advice to give you, save to say you're not alone in being distressed over the diagnosis. I'm sure we'll both accept it once we know what we're doing.

Just been shopping for the first time since and it's a different experience, checking the labels on everything.
I suppose on the bright side it forces a healthy diet and get to meet many like minded people who are happy to help.

PCJ

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It seems like you have been given some half decent advice about diet and testing to find out which foods your body likes.
However you are probably still thinking that the 'Eatwell Plate', whole grains, tropical fruit and below ground veg are good for you. Please test for yourself, but you will find that in general none of this is true.
Also you probably think that fat (especially saturated fat found in meat) is bad for you, or even that dietary cholesterol (such as in eggs) is bad for you. Again, none of this is true unless eaten to excess.

Indeed the worst fats are the highly processed seed oils that are high in Omega 6. These bad oils are marketed as vegetable oils, but nothing could be further from the truth, they're made by complex industrial processes and their use as food coincides with the rise in heart disease! They are nothing like Olive Oil which is just made from crushing Olives and which has been used for many centuries, as have Lard, Dripping, Butter all of which were used in large quantities by our great great grandparents in an age when heart disease and Type 2 diabetes were almost unheard of.

So I'm not surprised that your Blood Glucose is all over the place. For most (but not quite all) Type 2 Diabetics, a breakfast of Porridge is the perfect way to completely wreck your Blood Glucose level for the day. Instead try bacon and eggs, or cold meat or fatty fish - salmon, mackerel, kippers etc. , any style of eggs (but without toast), cheese, or even a handful of berries with plenty of full fat plain yogurt or double cream!
Thanks - just been talking to wife about porridge and already identified it as a no.

PCJ

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2

Thanks, will try anything to sort it.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for advice - reassuring. No meds so far, seeing what can be done through diet first as it was so poor before.
Welcome to the forum @PCJ

Sorry you have to be here, but glad you’ve found us.

Looks like you’ve made a good start and with the systematic approach you are taking, good luck and a following wind, you
should see your BG levels gradually come back into range. And as @Anitram says, it is best to make these changes steadily and gradually. Partly because the changes need to be sustainable and manageable long-term, but also importantly because it gives the body time to adjust and adapt. Rapid changes can cause problems of their own!