Newcastle End of Week 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhtyler

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well, week 5 ended yesterday, and it was troubling. The shortness of breath I was experiencing intermittently just refused to go away, so....I'm abandoning the VLCD in favor of a milder caloric deficit. I just can't handle 700 kcals a day it seems. The Wife and I went out to dinner, had steak, veg, and a bit of chili (no beans) ...so all very low carb, but higher calories. Sugar is still behaving nicely, and after dinner no shortness of breath. I took a nice long walk and felt great. And I still got some weight loss this AM. So am I off Newcastle? No, but I have to moderate the protocol based on my own needs. I'm switching to 1600 kcals a day, and adding regular food in with the shakes. I actually like the shakes a lot, and so does my Wife. I wonder if maybe the American versions I'm using haven't been giving me the right nutrition like the British Optifast ones do, or is it just that I'm too long in the tooth for such a radical weight loss. Both maybe. Anyway, this should allow modest, slower weight loss with less impact on me. I've already started the process of meal planning; counting every calorie, carb, and protein to make sure I get what I need, and stay around the 54 or less carbs that Optifast has. I've found that after losing 18 pounds I can go up to that number in carbs and keep sugar...I mean glucose nice and low. I will say this, after 5 weeks on Newcastle I've never experienced numbers as good as I have now. Glucose this AM was 5.66 mmol/L. Slightly high normal maybe, but something that won't hurt my health. So I'm sticking with it in my own way.

I followed the Newcastle Diet with my own real food meals, no shakes. If I were doing it again I do the shakes for 2-4 weeks to get my liver fat down, then go on to a protein and vegetable diet, maybe with shakes for lunch for convenience. Losing the weight over 3-6 months has its advantages.

Well, week 5 ended yesterday, and it was troubling. The shortness of breath I was experiencing intermittently just refused to go away, so....I'm abandoning the VLCD in favor of a milder caloric deficit. I just can't handle 700 kcals a day it seems. The Wife and I went out to dinner, had steak, veg, and a bit of chili (no beans) ...so all very low carb, but higher calories. Sugar is still behaving nicely, and after dinner no shortness of breath. I took a nice long walk and felt great. And I still got some weight loss this AM. So am I off Newcastle? No, but I have to moderate the protocol based on my own needs. I'm switching to 1600 kcals a day, and adding regular food in with the shakes. I actually like the shakes a lot, and so does my Wife. I wonder if maybe the American versions I'm using haven't been giving me the right nutrition like the British Optifast ones do, or is it just that I'm too long in the tooth for such a radical weight loss. Both maybe. Anyway, this should allow modest, slower weight loss with less impact on me. I've already started the process of meal planning; counting every calorie, carb, and protein to make sure I get what I need, and stay around the 54 or less carbs that Optifast has. I've found that after losing 18 pounds I can go up to that number in carbs and keep sugar...I mean glucose nice and low. I will say this, after 5 weeks on Newcastle I've never experienced numbers as good as I have now. Glucose this AM was 5.66 mmol/L. Slightly high normal maybe, but something that won't hurt my health. So I'm sticking with it in my own way.
I might just be lucky, but I have eaten a simple low carb diet from the moment of diagnosis and have had normal blood glucose numbers. It seems that most of the shakes and soup regimes have more than my usual intake of carbs - but I am eating proteins and fats and feeling very well on it.
I don't bother to keep track of anything other than carbs as they seem to be the most important factor in keeping things normal.

I might just be lucky, but I have eaten a simple low carb diet from the moment of diagnosis and have had normal blood glucose numbers. It seems that most of the shakes and soup regimes have more than my usual intake of carbs - but I am eating proteins and fats and feeling very well on it.
I don't bother to keep track of anything other than carbs as they seem to be the most important factor in keeping things normal.
I'm tracking most everything because I've still a large amount of weight to lose, and I'm too good at over-eating if I don't watch it. I don't like the idea of calorie counting..its so 60's...lol, but the carb count is crucial, and I track protein because when I'm down to fighting weight I'll be going back to resistance training where increased protein is key. You're lucky indeed, but then none of my doctors even suggested giving up potato crisps, let alone eating low carb. The doctors here are robotic.

Second day at 1600 kcals per day. The shortness of breath is completely gone. The VLCD obviously uncovered an issue with me. I'm going to add in some pure fasting next week; just a single 24 hour. My feeling is that quickly and completely turning to fat burning will circumvent the VLCD issue, especially if I don't do it too often. I plateaued on weight today, but I try to be philosophical about it. I think in general if your weight stays the same over several days, it means you're losing weight that hasn't shown up on the scale yet. My weight loss goal is the same. 35 Lbs. 17 to go.

Last edited:
It's also a good thing to lose weight a bit slower. I went hell for leather, losing over 5 stone. I look great in my clothes, but underneath my body looks like it needs ironing. With hindsight, a slower fat loss may have been better for my age group!

It's also a good thing to lose weight a bit slower. I went hell for leather, losing over 5 stone. I look great in my clothes, but underneath my body looks like it needs ironing. With hindsight, a slower fat loss may have been better for my age group!
I’m obsessed with under my chin …looks all wrinkled. I used to lose weight when younger and no wrinkles but not now. I’ve a cheek as I am 74 and don’t want wrinkles ,

I’m obsessed with under my chin …looks all wrinkled. I used to lose weight when younger and no wrinkles but not now. I’ve a cheek as I am 74 and don’t want wrinkles ,
I turn 70 in June so I'm not quite as young as springtime. I have some minor jowl action going on that I'm not happy about. I wonder how much weight I have to lose to get rid of them? All of it probably.

I turn 70 in June so I'm not quite as young as springtime. I have some minor jowl action going on that I'm not happy about. I wonder how much weight I have to lose to get rid of them? All of it probably.
My lines are a result of weight loss

Second day at 1600 kcals per day. The shortness of breath is completely gone. The VLCD obviously uncovered an issue with me. I'm going to add in some pure fasting next week; just a single 24 hour. My feeling is that quickly and completely turning to fat burning will circumvent the VLCD issue, especially if I don't do it too often. I plateaued on weight today, but I try to be philosophical about it. I think in general if your weight stays the same over several days, it means you're losing weight that hasn't shown up on the scale yet.
Glad you are finding a personalised approach that suits you better @mhtyler. I think there were aspect of the DIRECT trials and commentary which concluded that it didn’t matter how fast the weight was lost, as long as the ‘personal fat threshold’ was met.

Hope you can find a balance that allows a more gentle weight loss without the shortness of breath.

My weight loss goal is the same. 35 Lbs. 17 to go.

Halfway there! That’s amazing @mhtyler - well done 🙂 🙂 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back