Newbies say hello here!

Lighterman

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello
Diagnosed with Type2 mid April. 32 mmol/l. 13 hours in A&E to get it down. Next morning 12 units of insulin before breakfast and 12 units before eve meal. Changed diet immediately and have stuck with it (mostly ). Yesterday's (6th Sept) Hb1ac revealed I am not in the Type 2 or Pre-diabetes range and my blood glucose levels are mostly in the 4 to 7 range. Taken off insulin with review in 7 days. So interested to see what happens next. Keeping on with healthy eating but exercise difficult cos of old rugby injuries 50 years ago. Interesting times!

Hello
Diagnosed with Type2 mid April. 32 mmol/l. 13 hours in A&E to get it down. Next morning 12 units of insulin before breakfast and 12 units before eve meal. Changed diet immediately and have stuck with it (mostly ). Yesterday's (6th Sept) Hb1ac revealed I am not in the Type 2 or Pre-diabetes range and my blood glucose levels are mostly in the 4 to 7 range. Taken off insulin with review in 7 days. So interested to see what happens next. Keeping on with healthy eating but exercise difficult cos of old rugby injuries 50 years ago. Interesting times!
Welcome, what an odd situation to be in.
If you have been on insulin since April then your HbA1C is likely to have been brought down to normal level so what you will need to keep track of is what your blood glucose levels are going to be without the insulin. Did they do any tests to check for Type 1.
What insulin was it that you were taking and what was the diet you had adopted.
How did they pick up your high level back in April and what was your HbA1C then as that is the test for diagnosis rather than a moment in time test which is what the 32mmol/l would be (different units, HbA1C would be mmol/mol)

If you have been on insulin since April then your HbA1C is likely to have been brought down to normal level so what you will need to keep track of is what your blood glucose levels are going to be without the insulin. Did they do any tests to check for Type 1.
How did they pick up your high level back in April and what was your HbA1C then as that is the test for diagnosis rather than a moment in time test which is what the 32mmol/l would be (different units, HbA1C would be mmol/mo

How did they pick up your high level back in April and what was your HbA1C then as that is the test for diagnosis rather than a moment in time test which is what the 32mmol/l would be (different units, HbA1C would be mmol/mol)
Thank you. Why odd?
I'm still tracking blood glucose levels frequently, last night particularly, a lot of hypo warnings from sensor but higher readings from prick test.
In A&E they took blood twice. I can't say much about the day as I was not in the best state because of a number of other illnesses at the time. I want to discuss this next week with diabetic nurse.
Insulin was initially 12 units in the morning and 12 units at night. After a month or so it was changed to 12 units in the morning and 8 at night.
I use the Novomix pen.
The high level was picked up after blood test. They got me to eat and inject myself. As I say it's all fairly vague still until I get a fuller discussion now I'm feeling better.
My diet was me eating more fruit and veg, salads, soups, protein portions were smaller than I used to have. Cutting out all processed and sugary foods. Exercise has been almost impossible because of injuries and exhaustion but I have persevered and able to walk some distance with a stick. So a lot going on which I need to clarify in my mind.

Thank you. Why odd?
I'm still tracking blood glucose levels frequently, last night particularly, a lot of hypo warnings from sensor but higher readings from prick test.
In A&E they took blood twice. I can't say much about the day as I was not in the best state because of a number of other illnesses at the time. I want to discuss this next week with diabetic nurse.
Insulin was initially 12 units in the morning and 12 units at night. After a month or so it was changed to 12 units in the morning and 8 at night.
I use the Novomix pen.
The high level was picked up after blood test. They got me to eat and inject myself. As I say it's all fairly vague still until I get a fuller discussion now I'm feeling better.
My diet was me eating more fruit and veg, salads, soups, protein portions were smaller than I used to have. Cutting out all processed and sugary foods. Exercise has been almost impossible because of injuries and exhaustion but I have persevered and able to walk some distance with a stick. So a lot going on which I need to clarify in my mind.
I said odd because as I read your post you have been told to stop taking the insulin but here it seems you are taking both basal and bolus insulin.
Hopefully you will get some better advice when you see your nurse, as you say it is hard to take thigs in when you feel rubbish.

I said odd because as I read your post you have been told to stop taking the insulin but here it seems you are taking both basal and bolus insulin.
Hopefully you will get some better advice when you see your nurse, as you say it is hard to take thigs in when you feel rubbish.
It was an overwhelming and tiring day but things have been a lot more positive since. I shall endeavour to ask the good questions next week. If you can suggest any I'd be grateful. Thanks for what you've said so far, it has helped. Learning every day.

Goodness what a lot you’ve been through @Lighterman

Good to hear that the insulin has been so effective at managing your glucose levels. Are you still taking it?

Your presentation does sound slightly unusual, in that many people with T2 find their BG levels gradually creep up over time, whereas yours at 32mmol/L were extremely high to start with. And it doesn’t sound like the rose over an extended period of years.

Did you unintentionally lose weight before your diagnosis?

A rapid onset, and unintentional weight loss can be indications that T1 ought to be ruled out.

T1 can develop at any age, but tends to come on more dramatically, and more rapidly than T2.

Your insulin doses (a total daily dose of 20 units) don’t seem to suggest the insulin resistance that is often a feature of T2.

I’m just wondering why they have decided to take you off insulin as it looks like it was working really well for you. Have you been having hypos (readings below 4.0mmol/L)?

Last edited:
Goodness what a lot you’ve been through @Lighterman

Good to hear that the insulin has been so effective at managing your glucose levels. Are you still taking it?

Your presentation does sound slightly unusual, in that many people with T2 find their BG levels gradually creep up over time, whereas yours at 32mmol/L were extremely high to start with. And it doesn’t sound like the rose over an extended period of years.

Did you unintentionally lose weight before your diagnosis?

A rapid onset, and unintentional weight loss can be indications that T1 ought to be ruled out.

T1 can develop at any age, but tends to come on more dramatically, and more rapidly than T2.

Your insulin doses (a total daily dose of 20 units) don’t seem to suggest the insulin resistance that is often a feature of T2.

I’m just wondering why they have decided to take you off insulin as it looks like it was working really well for you. Have you been having hypos (readings below 4.0mmol/L)?
I appreciate your concern
Yes, it's been a difficult time for nearly two years. My wife died, I got cancer with chemo and radiotherapy follow-up, atrial fibrillation, my daughter had two miscarriages. By the time I was diagnosed with diabetes I was exhausted anyway. I felt a lot better immediately on taking the insulin. I was motivated to lose weight and exercise. I lost 13 kgs over the 4 months before diagnosis of cancer and diabetes. Trying to figure out which one was taking the weight is difficult to do!
I had a lot of hypos recently. The nurse was going to change my insulin to 4 in the morning and 4 at night then following further discussion she said to try without insulin, monitor frequently and discuss next Thursday. She was concerned that my readings might go high rather than low. I had hypos last night but I suspect the sensor is giving false alarms. Reading 2.8, 3.7, 3.8. Last one was 5.2 on sensor and 8.1 on finger test.
The hospital said T1 was ruled out.

Sorry to hear about your wife @Lighterman . I am a few years ahead of you in that regard - my wife died approaching 6 years ago. But I wasn’t hit with a double-whammy of a cancer and diabetes diagnosis in the midst of the grieving.

Thanks for filling in some details about how your BGs have been responding recently - it puts the stopping of insulin into context.

Back