Newbie's Needle issues plus....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShandyT

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
Been Type 1 for over 40 years, my great 21st B'day pressie from the gods above (OH thank you) 🙄.
I'm pretty much under control, have been most of my life, even with all the sex,drugs & rock'n'roll in my younger days, best thing that ever happened to me was the Actrapid insulin.
Have noticed recently that nowdays GP's diabetic doctors seem to mostly know textbook diabetics and not individual people, case in point; I weigh about 12 stones and am around 5' 11", when I moved to a new area a few years ago, the GPs diabetic doctor asked to see me and when I saw her, her first statement was since I was over 50 I should be on more than 20mg of Simvastatin, so my question to her was - had she seen my cholesterol figures, to which she replied 'No', so I pointed out to her that my average is around 4-6.
The BEST consultant I had was a diabetic himself at St. Peter's Hospital in Chertsey, and he knew exactly where his patients were coming from, shame there's not more diabetic doctors around :(.
I've stopped taking Statin's for about 5 years now, and my cholesterol's still lower than 6, so it was all a pharmaceutical con about everyone over 40 HAD to be on Statin's, and the newspapers finally caught on earlier this year about it 🙂.

Has anyone else had problems with FinePoint needles and NovaPen 5, where the lid can't be closed?
My GP wanted me to switch to FinePoint as it was cheaper than NovaFine needles, also it seems the FinePoint needles seem to bend very easily whilst I'm injecting myself, anyone else have that issue?

Hi Shandy T, welcome to the forum 🙂 I'd agree with what you say about 'textbook' learning - I had the same issue with statins, and stopped taking them around 6 months after diagnosis after looking into them and deciding the potential benefits were so slight that I'd rather take my chances and avoid the side-effects! (My chol was/is also around 4.5, but it dipped to 2.4 when I was on statins 😱)

I've only ever used Novofine needles so can't comment on the others, only to say that if the needles are cheaper then the chances are they are poorer quality :( Given that you have to inject several times a day for many years to come I would say it's not worth the cost saving if you end up damaging your injection sites so they no longer absorb properly :( Get your doctor to change them back! 🙂

I was switched to the glucoRX and they gave bruises every time. I asked to switch back to BD Microfine and they agreed.

I use Click Fine 8mm. Call themselves diamond tipped. They just push on to any pen, and screw off. Stay sharp for ages- one needle usually lasts a whole pen. I’m amazed I can still get them on prescription, but then I only order them twice a year if that.

Great news, went to the doc's this afternoon and took back the FinePoint and got them to re-order the NovaFine, which they've done now, so will pick them up in the morning.
@mikeyB - they sound great, I'll have to check them out and see if I can get them on prescription - I normally have to do about 4-5 injections per day (hate every moment of it), so they sound a lot better, the NovaFine's I could sometimes use for about 2-3 injections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back