Acon52

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes. My HbA1c was 121, so very high,only found out by suffering from excessive thirst, extremely dry mouth and regular trips to the toilet over the last 4/5 weeks. Will be interested in reading any of your posts for helpful hints/tips.

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes. My HbA1c was 121, so very high,only found out by suffering from excessive thirst, extremely dry mouth and regular trips to the toilet over the last 4/5 weeks. Will be interested in reading any of your posts for helpful hints/tips.
Hello @Acon52 and welcome to the forum.
With an A1c that high and sudden onset of symptoms, if it were me I would be asking for type1 testing.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Lost any weight during this? Felt nauseous after eating at all any times?

Acon52

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have lost about a 1 1/2 stone since the Summer but have been doing alot of work in the garden so could of lost some due to that aswell, not suffered with any nauseous after eating.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Acon52

Do you have any diabetes in your family? As @Pumper_Sue says, a rapid onset of symptoms, combined with unintentional weight loss might indicate that you have either T1 or LADA rather than T2, but unfortunately some Drs default to a tick in the T2 box as soon as someone is no longer a child (whereas in reality 50% of T1s are diagnosed in adulthood!)

How long is it before your next follow-up, and what treatments have you been offered so far.

Do you have a BG meter to monitor your own levels? It might be well worth getting one so that you can see if your initial diabetes management plan is having a positive effect.

If you need to self fund your BG meter, the most affordable meters members here have found are the SD Gluco Navii or the Spirit Tee2 - which both have test strips at around £8 for 50

Good luck, and let us know how you get on :)

Acon52

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am aware of one family member that suffered from diabetes,
I have been put on Metformin & Gliclazide and have an appointment in another week for blood tests and health check,
I have brought a meter to monitor my levels, so far they seem to be getting lower, hopefully a mixture of the medication and healthy eating,