mikkiangelo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi! I'm T2D. Was diagnosed a couple of years ago, even though I've been taking various meds for different conditions over the years, still getting used to taking Metformin.

I do have one issue. I have no gallbladder. Luckily, this wasn't a problem too often, but since the diabetes diagnosis, I find that trying to follow a healthy diet with lots of vegetables and pulses creates a lot of (painful) trapped wind. I now read that too much protein can harms diabetics (don't have the link, sorry). Not sure what to do for the best. Anyone else here with the same issue? (I'm already on Omeprazole for acid reflux).

Last edited:

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @mikkiangelo Glad that you have found us.

You mention getting used to taking Metformin. Is that a recent addition for you?
Are you experiencing side effects from this. If so there are alternatives such as slow release which sometimes helps.

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Welcome to the forum Mikkiangelo from a fellow T2

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @mikkiangelo

It can be so helpful to have the friendly and helpful members of the forum to compare notes with, when it comes to managing your diabetes day to day - even it it’s just to offload about the irritations and frustrations.

How are you finding Metformin - I gather it can help to take it with a substantial meal, but one which doesn’t contain too many carbohydrates. Many forum members over the year have also found that the gastric upheaval can reduce over time. Hope that’s the case for you!

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @mikkiangelo

T2 here too. I’m on the modified release metformin as the standard one really didn’t sit well with me.

KARNAK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @mikkiangelo.

Hope you find it a truly positive part of your Diabetes journey.

mikkiangelo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Welcome to the forum @mikkiangelo Glad that you have found us.

You mention getting used to taking Metformin. Is that a recent addition for you?
Are you experiencing side effects from this. If so there are alternatives such as slow release which sometimes helps.
I've been on it seriously for a year or so. All my other pills are easy: either first thing in the morning or last thing at night. Remembering to take one after my meals is proving trickier.

mikkiangelo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Welcome to the forum @mikkiangelo

It can be so helpful to have the friendly and helpful members of the forum to compare notes with, when it comes to managing your diabetes day to day - even it it’s just to offload about the irritations and frustrations.

How are you finding Metformin - I gather it can help to take it with a substantial meal, but one which doesn’t contain too many carbohydrates. Many forum members over the year have also found that the gastric upheaval can reduce over time. Hope that’s the case for you!
Thanks. It's just a case of remembering to take it.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@mikkiangelo - depends whether you want to make the tablets do anything for you at the end of the day! LOL