AndyH18

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone

New to the forum have been diagnosed diabetic for seven years now.
Was diagnosed type 1 back at start 6 months later was taken of type one and moved to type 2 over past two years I have been on and off tablets as clinics unsure with condition still undergoing tests.
Thought I would join as have not many people around in similar situation and heard about the forum

Andy

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Andy and welcome

7 years is a long time to be unsure of your diagnosis. I am guessing you may be LADA (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults.... which is a slow onset form of Type1 which can initially respond to Type 2 medication and/or lifestyle changes) particularly if you have not needed to start on insulin yet, which you don't mention?

Do you know what tests they are doing to clarify your diagnosis? C-peptide and GAD antibody tests perhaps?

How did you initially come to be diagnosed to make them think Type 1? Usually it is the other way around and adults developing Type1 are assumed to be Type2 because they "adults" and many doctors believe Type 1 only develops in babies, children and adolescents.

Diabetes can be very complicated and exhibit very differently in people and we have a wide range of diabetics here on the forum, some whom, the powers that be, struggle to classify, so another "oddball" diabetic on the forum is always interesting and welcome ;)

Look forward to learning more about you and your condition but if there is anything you would like to ask or share with us about your diabetes, we are always interested... ie What medication you are on? Recent HbA1c? Do you self monitor your BG levels? etc

AndyH18

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
At the start I was having a knee operation but a few weeks before operation I started having all the diabetic symptoms
6 months after being diagnosed I was removed from type 1 insulin and onto type 2 metformin.
Over the past 2 years I have lost 6.5 stone and have been on and off medication but having high sugars again in the last 3-4 months I have been sent for a lot of tests but due to covid it is taking time between results but I can update you on this once I know what's happening but all has settled and sitting comfortable results again

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @AndyH18

Do keep us updated when you know more.
Glad that you have managed to get your levels and symptoms settled.
What strategies did you use in managing this.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @AndyH18

What tests did they do to confirm your T2 diagnosis? Are you being seen at a hospital who are more experienced with the more niche types?

I’m wondering if you have had cPeptide measured? If you are on the T1 side of the spectrum (which includes LADA) you would expect a lowish cPeptide, whereas T2 would suggest insulin resistance where you would most likely be producing lots of insulin, but not be able to use it effectively.

If you are LADA (and responding to T2 meds while your autoimmune attack continues) you may want to be careful about which T2 meds you use as they might push your remaining beta cells harder - which might stress them out?

Let us know how things go :)

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Welcome to the forum Andy from a fellow(?) T2.