Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyTired

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I'm Tracy, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes over 2 years ago. I'm now on Metformin since October 2016. I'm in a catch 22 situation, I'm disabled, where I have other complex physical health problems, my mobility is poor and I'm unable to walk far and spend a lot of time at home. Because of this I'm overweight and can't exercise to lose weight. I'm so frustrated with this. However, since being on Metformin, I've lost a stone in weight. One of the side affects for me with Metformin is a decreased appetite. I find it extremely difficult to eat. I've also recently been diagnosed with non alcoholic fatty liver desease. Just feeling down with all the health problems. I've suffer with depression and other mental health issues also.

Hi Tracy, welcome to the forum 🙂 Very sorry to hear that you are feeling so low :( We have a number of members here who also have complex health problems and problems with mobility, so you are not alone, and hopefully they will be able to help by sharing their own experiences and ways of dealing with things 🙂 Whatever you can manage exercise-wise is helpful - have you spoken to your GP or nurse about possibly finding some suitable exercises that you can manage? I've no personal experience of metformin, but have heard it can act as an appetite suppressant. If you're not up to eating much, it's important that you make sure what you are eating is giving you the right amount of essential nutrients and vitamins.

Perhaps there are other things we can suggest that you would find helpful? Do you test your blood sugar levels so that you can monitor the effect of your food choices on them and discover the things you tolerate well and what you ought to avoid? There may be some very simple changes you can make without realising that could lead to improved levels. People have very individual tolerances to things - whatever the 'official' advice is, there really is no 'one-size-fits-all' when it comes to diabetes! Perhaps if you described a typical day's diet we could make some suggestions?

If your levels are higher than normal this can contribute to your feelings of low mood and general lethargy, so getting good control should help ease things.

Please let us knoow if you have any questions, we will be more than happy to help, and understand the kinds of problems you are facing because many of us (if not all) have felt the same at one time or another. Let's try and change that 'tired' in your User Name to 'buzzing'! 🙂

Welcome Tracy from a fellow T2.

I can see that you feel in a bit of a hopeless loop at the moment Tracy but you know what, I think things are actually on the up with you because of the weight loss. I was diagnosed with non alcoholic fatty liver when I was dx with diabetes and it's much more common than you'd imagine. A good, lower carb, healthier diet will start to help heal that and it's starting already as you lose visceral fat from around your organs (especially liver). That in turn will help your insulin response. Every lb counts.
Metformin is reducing your appetite and helping you to lose weight but of course you still need to eat enough to stay well. Try smaller and more frequent 'healthy' snacks rather than large meals. Even moving your legs and doing chair exercises will help. Keep your joints moving even if it's just walking round the house. It will become easier as the weight reduces. I can guarantee it will improve your low mood too.

As northerner said, many of us have additional health challenges but it's amazing the impact excess weight and the dragging down efffect of diabetes can have on the system. It makes us sluggish and lack lustre but you're on the right track to dealing with it.

Ask your GP if there's any 'exercise on prescription' classes. Could you swim? I know you won't feel like it yet but try to make it a goal. A friend of mine, also diabetic is massively overweight and his doctor has just arranged these swimming classes for him as therapy. Not all areas do of course.

I'm not writing this as a slim, fit and able person. I have serious health problems but I know what a difference losing some weight and getting the debilitating sugar out of the system can achieve.

One problem at a time Tracy. Make your goal weight loss and small, low carb meals. Keep a journal, record your achievements and come on here for encouragement with your achievements even if it's just walking around for 5 mins every hour. People understand and we have members on here who have lost massive amounts of weight and battled other health and emotional challenges too. Good luck! 🙂

Welcome -

I'm not sure I can help that much as I'm a type1, but like you I have severe mobility problems, to the extent that I have to use an electric wheelchair for getting out and about. When this developed, fairly suddenly, I simply carried on eating my usual diet. This could only have one result, and I am now on a lower carb diet and smaller portions. I've steadily lost weight on this, about 2k in 7 weeks, and it continues to work steadily. And that's without exercise. I'm loving it. I've never been badly overweight. I just don't want to be that fat git in the wheelchair. Losing the weight won't help my mobility any, it's all a matter of pride.

For real proper weight loss, our Hazel is the current runaway champion, I hope she sees this thread because she can give you real encouragement.

Carbohydrates are the enemy when it comes to gaining weight or taming blood glucose. Cut out foods with high percentage of carbohydrate and you should see your weight begin to fall - and it goes off your middle, which makes things a lot more comfortable very quickly. Getting breathless when trying to pick up something you've dropped is so annoying, and quite alarming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back