Witchylin

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I am 77 and have just been told I have pre-diabetes, on the high side. The nurse at the practice was not helpful as to what to do or where to get help. So here I am hoping to find lots of answers.

I am 77 and have just been told I have pre-diabetes, on the high side. The nurse at the practice was not helpful as to what to do or where to get help. So here I am hoping to find lots of answers.
Hi, and welcome. Pre-diabetes, or 'at risk of diabetes', means your blood sugar levels are pushing up towards the point at which a diagnosis of diabetes would be given. The HbA1c test that would have shown your pre-diabetes has come up with a number in the range 42-47, so nearer 47 than 42 if you've been told it's on the high side. Shame you got no help from your practice but unfortunately that's not uncommon. However, you've come to the right place now and there are things you can do to reduce your level - changing your diet, being more active and (if needed) losing weight. Being 'at risk' should mean that you only need tweaks so please feel free to ask questions as to where and what.

Hi and welcome to the forum
You may be feeling a little lost and confused about what to do for the best. I would start by making the obvious changes immediately (less sugar / cakes / biscuits - if you eat those).

The next step would be to learn a little about diabetes. You may come across conflicting information and opinions, this is mostly a combination of personal preferences and the fact that we are all individuals, and one persons body can react differently to a specific food than another's will. Going with 'core' tried and tested eating plans may be helpful to avoid confusion while learning.

One thing you may find useful is only to make one change at a time. This is a marathon, not a sprint. It's very easy to go and buy an untried food thinking it's good for diabetes, only to realise later it's not quite so good.
Take your time, learn a little and make further changes as you learn more.

Welcome to the forum @Witchylin

We have had lots of new members over the years who have joined being told they are at risk of diabetes, and who have been able to turn their BG levels away from the diagnosis threshold. Hope you are able to see the same!

If you would like a good overview of T2 diabetes, to add to the knowledge you’ve already picked up, you might want to register for an account with the Learning Zone (the orange tab in the main menu) which is packed full of informative bite-sized modules. Additionally, for a more personal take, many members here have found Maggie Davey’s Letter to the Newly Diagnosed helpful.

Some modest changes to your diet should be all that is needed to maintain where you are and maybe reduce your level a bit but some recent NICE guidelines indicate that for more mature people the diagnostic levels for diagnosis should be more lenient but there is no harm is having a healthier diet for your general well being and losing some weight if you need to.
This link may give you a few ideas for some tweaks to your diet. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Back