Hi @Carrie-lee and welcome to the forum. How did you come to be diagnosed and do you what was your HbA1c was?

Information overload is not an unusual effect of a diabetes diagnosis. How can we help you to get a perspective on things?

Welcome to the forum @Carrie-lee

And to lifetime membership of the club that no-one wants to join! :(

Feeling a bit overwhelmed and knocked sideways is pretty common in the beginning. But take heart - diabetes is a serious condition, but it’s also one that can usually be managed well with a few changes and adaptations - it’s something that you can learn to live well with, and it shouldn’t stop you doing things you enjoy.

Many people on the forum later reflect that their diagnosis became a kind of catalyst which prompted them to make positive changes towards a healthier and more active life. Perhaps changes that they had been intending to make for years. Some find that as they take steps to improve their glucose levels, eating habits, and level of activity various other long-term niggles improve or disappear entirely.

Maybe try the Learning Zone (orange tab in the main menu) for a host of bite-sized chunks of information that you can work through gradually?

And keep asking questions on the forum too - we have literally centuries of lives diabetes experience here 🙂

Welcome to the forum @Carrie-lee

And to lifetime membership of the club that no-one wants to join! :(

Feeling a bit overwhelmed and knocked sideways is pretty common in the beginning. But take heart - diabetes is a serious condition, but it’s also one that can usually be managed well with a few changes and adaptations - it’s something that you can learn to live well with, and it shouldn’t stop you doing things you enjoy.

Many people on the forum later reflect that their diagnosis became a kind of catalyst which prompted them to make positive changes towards a healthier and more active life. Perhaps changes that they had been intending to make for years. Some find that as they take steps to improve their glucose levels, eating habits, and level of activity various other long-term niggles improve or disappear entirely.

Maybe try the Learning Zone (orange tab in the main menu) for a host of bite-sized chunks of information that you can work through gradually?

And keep asking questions on the forum too - we have literally centuries of lives diabetes experience here 🙂
Thank you x

Thanks for all the tips, speaking to the diet people tuesday so hopefully I'm on the right track. Must say been on slimming world for 10 years on and off and feel like I'm completely re training myself. No wonder it didn't work for me

Thanks for all the tips, speaking to the diet people tuesday so hopefully I'm on the right track. Must say been on slimming world for 10 years on and off and feel like I'm completely re training myself. No wonder it didn't work for me
It can work for some people but once diagnosed as Type 2 diabetic a different tack is needed being more aware of the carbs. They do say they have programs designed specifically but they will tend to follow the standard NHS advice which for many is too high in carb.
Making some substitutions in the recipes for potatoes, rice and pasta for lower carb alternatives can be an option or having a reduced portion with extra veg or salad.

Back