Not open for further replies.

nccmur

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi everyone
I am 49
I was diagnosed with LADA in september 23 and put onto insulin straight away and for most part its been ok
I take 4 units of levemir in the evening and novorapid as a bolus with food,i have a ratio of 1:20 generally, slightly less insulin required whilst i am at work because i have a physical job and i have managed it quite well,93% in range.
However these past 2 weeks (holidays) i seem to be struggling to get my levels right, still using my general ratio of 1:20 my bg is all over the place and its frustrating the life out of me.
I have adjusted my ratio to what has happened to my bg levels after food then that seems to be wrong then i think i have got it right,then it starts spiking away up at 12-15 mmol
Just wondering if anyone else gets this when they are off work or just not active
Thanks

Welcome @nccmur 🙂 Sadly, Type 1 can be a bit like that - do exactly the same things yet get different results. However, as you’re recently diagnosed, it might be your honeymoon period coming to an end and that you simply need more insulin. If your spike is short-lived, I wouldn’t worry too much. Are you back in range by the time of your next meal?

Welcome @nccmur 🙂 Sadly, Type 1 can be a bit like that - do exactly the same things yet get different results. However, as you’re recently diagnosed, it might be your honeymoon period coming to an end and that you simply need more insulin. If your spike is short-lived, I wouldn’t worry too much. Are you back in range by the time of your next meal?
Usually it does come back into range,
Im just wondering if its because i am not active whatsoever?
Hoping it sorts itself out when i go back to work
Thanks for the reply

Activity or lack of it will have a definite effect. You could try a little activity after your meal if it’s worrying you. Even pottering around the house rather than sitting down can help, as can a 10 or 15 minute walk.

good idea!
Thinking iv just been too lazy over the holiday period

Hi everyone
I am 49
I was diagnosed with LADA in september 23 and put onto insulin straight away and for most part its been ok
I take 4 units of levemir in the evening and novorapid as a bolus with food,i have a ratio of 1:20 generally, slightly less insulin required whilst i am at work because i have a physical job and i have managed it quite well,93% in range.
However these past 2 weeks (holidays) i seem to be struggling to get my levels right, still using my general ratio of 1:20 my bg is all over the place and its frustrating the life out of me.
I have adjusted my ratio to what has happened to my bg levels after food then that seems to be wrong then i think i have got it right,then it starts spiking away up at 12-15 mmol
Just wondering if anyone else gets this when they are off work or just not active
Thanks
Hi and welcome to the board and think your experience during the holiday period is typical and very similar to mine ( was diagnosed in August 23).
Like you my TIR is pretty good so high 90s over 3 months but during the 2 week holiday it dropped down to about 90% purely as a result of eating more over festive period/ lack of exercise etc but most important bit was just relaxing and not planning or having as much routine as normal.
As long as you get back to a level you are happy with then there will be no damage done and it is important to live your life as normally as possible and giving yourself and importantly those around you a break during the festive period as it can help avoid getting stuck on a daily grind which can dampen down your motivation to maintaining compliance and that is the real issue in combatting diabetes.

How many units of Levemir in a morning?

Hi and welcome to the board and think your experience during the holiday period is typical and very similar to mine ( was diagnosed in August 23).
Like you my TIR is pretty good so high 90s over 3 months but during the 2 week holiday it dropped down to about 90% purely as a result of eating more over festive period/ lack of exercise etc but most important bit was just relaxing and not planning or having as much routine as normal.
As long as you get back to a level you are happy with then there will be no damage done and it is important to live your life as normally as possible and giving yourself and importantly those around you a break during the festive period as it can help avoid getting stuck on a daily grind which can dampen down your motivation to maintaining compliance and that is the real issue in combatting diabetes.
Hi
Yeah im hoping it goes back to normal once i get back to the usual routine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back