Status
Not open for further replies.

bhyt

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello, last week I was diagnosed with T1D and had 20 mmol/l, since then my blood sugar has been the same after eating I got 20 mmol/l, and it's hard to lower it. I have high blood sugar but I'm feeling good not thirsty not fatigued What is the problem?

Welcome @bhyt What insulins are you taking? And are you washing your hands before testing just to make sure your test isn’t contaminated?

Hello, last week I was diagnosed with T1D and had 20 mmol/l, since then my blood sugar has been the same after eating I got 20 mmol/l, and it's hard to lower it. I have high blood sugar but I'm feeling good not thirsty not fatigued What is the problem?
Hello, Are these readings just from a sensor? Or have you double checked on a meter too?

i take 2x novomix and 1x fiasp a day. And i only use dexcom g6 sensor

Ok, the Dexcom sensor isn’t as accurate at high levels, so you might be a little lower than 20. It’s best to have a glucose meter to check readings when needed.

Are you outside the U.K.? Novomix is not a common insulin for Type 1s. Have you been given guidance as to how many grams of carbohydrate to eat for each meal? Do you take the Fiasp before your evening meal?

yes, i'm outside the U.K. No, the doctor said I can eat anything I want but I just have to take insulin now. Yes I take all insulin right before eating, but I have couple of snacks a day without taking insulin

yes, i'm outside the U.K. No, the doctor said I can eat anything I want but I just have to take insulin now. Yes I take all insulin right before eating, but I have couple of snacks a day without taking insulin

That’s your problem then @bhyt . The amount of Novomix you’re taking will only cover (deal with) a certain amount of carbohydrate. If you eat too many carbs for the amount of insulin you’re taking, your blood sugar will go high (because you haven’t injected enough insulin to deal with that many carbs).

If you’re on fixed doses of insulin, you’ll need to eat the same amount of carbs (so that the fixed dose of insulin can deal with them). Most Type 1s use two different separate types of insulin. One is a slow background insulin that is injected once or twice a day to keep the blood glucose level ok in the absence of food; the other is a faster-acting insulin that’s injected before meals to deal with the rise in blood glucose from the carbohydrate in the meal. This is a more flexible regime than mixed insulin.

Novomix has both slow (background) and fast (meal) insulin mixed together in a set proportion. If, for example, you need more mealtime insulin, you can’t increase that without also increasing the slow/background insulin. This makes it hard to control your blood sugar.

Last edited:
@bhyt I suggest you ask your doctor for two separate insulins - a slow background insulin and a fast meal insulin (you could use the Fiasp for this or Novorapid or similar). This is called a basal/bolus insulin regime and it’s what the majority of people with Type 1 use.

In the meantime, you should count how many carbs you’re having for each meal, see what your blood glucose level does, then cautiously and gradually reduce the amount of carbs in that meal to improve your blood glucose results. But really, I think you’d be best to speak to your doctor as soon as possible.

To be clear, Type 1s can eat a pretty normal diet but only if they take the right amount of insulin at the right time. We have to be our own pancreas and work out how much to take.

If you’re happy to say which country you’re in, there might be other people from your country here. We have a number of people who aren’t in the U.K. 🙂

i take 2x novomix and 1x fiasp a day. And i only use dexcom g6 sensor
Hello again, normal rule of thumb is to match insulin to what you eat which ensures stable BGs.
Sounds like you have been given fixed doses of insulin? Which can be restrictive on how much and when you chose to eat.
The Dexcom G6 is a great tool, but a blood test meter will be a backup when those numbers don’t seem to make sense. Like your “20mmol.”

Being just diagnosed last week for you. I can appreciate it’s all a lot of information to take in, in one shot.

Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back