Status
Not open for further replies.

Onyiluck

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello am glad to be here, i want to learn more, i had gestational diabetes in 2021 and 2022 since then I have been battling with raised glucose, just got my hb1ac result and its 11.59 and am so worried,am on drugs but it seems not to be working, thanks

Hello am glad to be here, i want to learn more, i had gestational diabetes in 2021 and 2022 since then I have been battling with raised glucose, just got my hb1ac result and its 11.59 and am so worried,am on drugs but it seems not to be working, thanks
For an ordinary type 2 reducing carbs in the diet is the first step, and that is usually very effective. If it doesn't work then something more complex might be going on - there is even the chance of a misdiagnosis.
What medication are you taking?

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear that you are struggling with elevated glucose levels now after having gestational diabetes. Can you clarify that HbA1c result or give the units of it because the number looks a little odd. Generally we use mmols/mol these days and a reading in excess of 47 would give you a diabetes diagnosis but it can be up into 3 figures, so wondering if that should be 115.9 although mmols/mol is usually given as whole numbers without a decimal place. If it is the old % reading then 11.5 would be high but again I don't believe it is reported to 2 decimal places, so having 4 figures just seems a bit odd.

It would be helpful if you can also tell us which medication you are on for your diabetes and what if any dietary changes you have made to help manage your diabetes. Have you lost any weight recently perhaps more easily than expected or unintentionally? The reason I ask is that if dietary changes and oral Type 2 meds are not working and levels are rising, then it may be that you are actually Type 1 and not type 2 and if that is the case you will need insulin. Did you have insulin during your pregnancy/ies?

The more info you can give us the better we can understand your situation and the more appropriate our advice can be.

Welcome @Onyiluck Can you confirm your HbA1C and also what medication you’re on for the diabetes? I wasn’t sure what units your HbA1C was in either.

Is it possible you’re actually Type 1? I know a number of women who were assumed to have Gestational Diabetes but actually had Type 1.

Thanks for your replies,i had insulin (novomix) during my pregnancies,my Hba1c is in % 11.95 and am on meprid 2 and panfor thats metformin 1000mg .

Thanks for your replies,i had insulin (novomix) during my pregnancies,my Hba1c is in % 11.95 and am on meprid 2 and panfor thats metformin 1000mg .
So essentially 103mmols/mol in new money which is into the red zone and needs attention.
What dietary changes have you made? Can you give us an indication of the sort of things you typically eat and drink for breakfast, lunch and evening meal. I imagine it is difficult looking after yourself wit special diets when you have young children, but perhaps we can offer some suggestions.
Do you have much/any weight to lose? And have you noticed any sudden weight loss?

So essentially 103mmols/mol in new money which is into the red zone and needs attention.
What dietary changes have you made? Can you give us an indication of the sort of things you typically eat and drink for breakfast, lunch and evening meal. I imagine it is difficult looking after yourself wit special diets when you have young children, but perhaps we can offer some suggestions.
Do you have much/any weight to lose? And have you noticed any sudden weight loss?
Thank you,just slight weight loss,i tried not to eat after 6pm but it's not been easy, i eat more of carbs in low quantity,i dont take soft drinks am so confused on what to eat and not eat

That’s a high HbA1C, especially as you’re on medication. Apologies for asking a personal question, but are you overweight? You say you’ve lost a little weight, but the reason that @rebrascora asked about weight loss was because unexpected weight loss is a symptom of Type 1 diabetes.

Could you write an average day’s food for you?

That’s a high HbA1C, especially as you’re on medication. Apologies for asking a personal question, but are you overweight? You say you’ve lost a little weight, but the reason that @rebrascora asked about weight loss was because unexpected weight loss is a symptom of Type 1 diabetes.

Am not overweight, i should just be 65kg from the last,and my food is mainly rice

Could you write an average day’s food for y

There is no unexpected weight loss

If you are eating mostly rice, that will be pushing your levels up as it is high in carbs. Do you eat meat or are you vegetarian? Do you like vegetables? Basing your meals mostly on veg rather than rice would help a lot. I have recently acquired a real thing for curried cabbage, a sort of cabbage bhaji but I add different things each day that need using up, so sometimes halloumi or paneer and sometimes meat or mushrooms or green beans and tomato. I hadn't realised that cabbage was so versatile and really good for you and tasty once you experiment with different ways of cooking it.

Am not overweight, i should just be 65kg from the last,and my food is mainly rice

Are you vegetarian? Rice is quite high in carbs. A small portion has a fair amount of carbohydrate and if you’re having larger portions then you could be taking in more carbohydrate than your body (and the medication) can cope with.

Reducing the amount of rice you have at each meal and replacing it with green veg (not potatoes), protein (meat, fish, cheese, eggs, tofu) should help reduce your HbA1C. It would also really help if you had a glucose meter so you can test your blood sugar before meals and 2hrs after the start time of your meal. This way you can see if that particular meal works for you and your blood glucose. The target is to be 8.5 or less 2hrs after meals if you’re Type 2.

As you’re on medication which can cause hypos (I think), reduce the rice gradually so that you’re not at risk of going too low. This is why a glucose meter is good as it will help you find the right amount of rice/carbs for you.

Are you vegetarian? Rice is quite high in carbs. A small portion has a fair amount of carbohydrate and if you’re having larger portions then you could be taking in more carbohydrate than your body (and the medication) can cope with.

Reducing the amount of rice you have at each meal and replacing it with green veg (not potatoes), protein (meat, fish, cheese, eggs, tofu) should help reduce your HbA1C. It would also really help if you had a glucose meter so you can test your blood sugar before meals and 2hrs after the start time of your meal. This way you can see if that particular meal works for you and your blood glucose. The target is to be 8.5 or less 2hrs after meals if you’re Type 2.

As you’re on medication which can cause hypos (I think), reduce the rice gradually so that you’re not at risk of going too low. This is why a glucose meter is good as it will help you find the right amount of rice/carbs for you.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back