Status
Not open for further replies.

Garyhinchey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Apologies if I should be putting this somewhere else.

I’ve been a type 1 for about 30 years and I’m currently self funding Libre 2 sensors and have done for the last 2 years. For me this is a game changer.

How do I go about having these prescribed to me by my GP so I don’t have to self fund? My GP’s diabetic nurse has said it’s the responsibility of the hospital to prescribe these but I don’t believe this is correct. Could anyone else provide some info on how I can progress this?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum @Garyhinchey.

Have you already spoken about it with your diabetes team at the hospital? I would recommend contacting both them and your GP to cover all the bases. I still have to go through my hospital to make any changes to my prescription (e.g. the Libre) or get new supplies, but others seem to have no trouble going to their GP. It probably varies by region/trust. Good luck!

How do I go about having these prescribed to me by my GP so I don’t have to self fund? My GP’s diabetic nurse has said it’s the responsibility of the hospital to prescribe these but I don’t believe this is correct. Could anyone else provide some info on how I can progress this?

Following changes in the guidance you should simply be able to ask. Having T1 diabetes is now evidence enough of the cost-effectiveness of Libre. And as @SB2015 says, GPs should now be perfectly able to prescribe Libre2 without any intervention from a consultant.

There’s a tweet from the NHS England lead on Diabetes Prof Partha Kar to that effect at the bottom of this post:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back