Newbie with Gestational Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkySnail

Relationship to Diabetes
Gestational
Hello

I'm now 30 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes at 17 weeks.
First I was controlling it by diet then I got put on one metformin a day which was gradually increased to four and then last week I got put on insulin as well as the metformin.
I was getting low blood sugar readings pre meals between 3.0-4.0 and at my first clinic visit they changed my meter as they thought it was giving me false lows. On the second visit I saw a different consultant who was concerned at these lows and told me I had to snack more to keep my pre meal bs above 3.5. On my third clinic visit the original consultant I saw said I didn't need to worry about the lows and told me to stop doing pre meal blood tests as we know that I naturally go low.

On the insulin I'm now back to doing pre meal readings. I got put on 4 units in the morning and 2 at night, 2 days later this was reduced to 3 and 1 and now I'm on just 2 units in the morning because of mild hypos. When I think the insulin caused a low bs reading below 4, I definately felt different but when I go low without the insulin I don't feel any different even though my bs reading is the same!
I'm meant to have a reading of 7.8 one hr post meals and I do find that if my bs has dropped to below 3.5 then my post meal reading will be above this ranging from 8.2 -12.8 and the same food on different days can give completely different results. I feel like i'm in a circle where the lows are causing the highs and then the treatment that causes the low and so on! I've consulted a dietician and she said what I'm eating is fine so I'm very confused!!

Anyone have any similar experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back