Newbie to group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi and welcome!

Can you tell us a bit about you and your diabetes journey so far?

Also do you have any questions or issues which have brought you here today?

Hi and welcome!

Can you tell us a bit about you and your diabetes journey so far?

Also do you have any questions or issues which have brought you here today?
Hi, well diagnosed in 2019 went to GP with blurry vision, no other symptoms, long wait as they thought at first I had latent onset type 1.5 went with this for 12 months metformin and suplimentary insulin every night, then they decided I was type 2 but not the kind that is managed through diet!! Been told I will need insulin foreverRoutine bloods been ok over last few years but yesterday's results saw a significant drop in my platelet coun. GP thinks there may be internal bleeding but I have no symptoms of such and has ordered further tests but I have read that sometimes diabetes can cause this, that some medicines can affect normal platlet counts? So I thought I'd see if anyone else with diabetes has had similar results, trying to get info ready for GP as I really do not want intrusive examinations unnecessarily.

Oh, what is the kind of T2 that is not managed by diet?
I was normal weight when diagnosed with T2 but still got it into remission by eating Low Carb (without taking any medication).

Oh, what is the kind of T2 that is not managed by diet?
I was normal weight when diagnosed with T2 but still got it into remission by eating Low Carb (without taking any medication).
My pancrease doesn't produce enough insulin and whilst watching my diet ( I am not overweight or in active, have ahealthy balanced diet) managing it by diet alone is insufficient and I have to take insulin every day.... that type! fYi...'Everybody with type 1 and some people with type 2 diabetes need to use insulin as a treatment' . I am sadley in the 30% that wil be insulin dependent! I am really pleased you are able to manage your condition by diet only some of us are not that lucky
, I could eat just lettuce, salads and drink water obly and I would still need insulin. Cheers

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. I have heard that that keeping the carbohydrate intake low and (if required) losing some excess weight, both the insulin resistance and the insulin producing Beta cells in the pancreas may improve. Obviously I have no personal experience of that.

Sorry to hear that. I have heard that that keeping the carbohydrate intake low and (if required) losing some excess weight, both the insulin resistance and the insulin producing Beta cells in the pancreas may improve. Obviously I have no personal experience of that.

My pancrease doesn't produce enough insulin and whilst watching my diet ( I am not overweight or in active, have ahealthy balanced diet) managing it by diet alone is insufficient and I have to take insulin every day.... that type! fYi...'Everybody with type 1 and some people with type 2 diabetes need to use insulin as a treatment' . I am sadley in the 30% that wil be insulin dependent! I am really pleased you are able to manage your condition by diet only some of us are not that lucky
, I could eat just lettuce, salads and drink water obly and I would still need insulin. Cheers

FWIW, this recent study is a bit interesting: https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/board...enesis-of-lean-non-autoimmune-diabetes.98584/

~30% of Ugandan T2's have non-autoimmune pancreas insuficiency, rather than the visceral fat-related issues which are the more common cause of T2. Would be good to see similar studies in other populations.

It's too simplistic to draw a direct relationship, but there were also about 30% "non-responders" at the 2 year mark in the DiRECT study (ie the Newcastle study, looking at weight loss for remission). That is, people who maintained 15%+ body weight reduction but didn't achieve/preserve remission.

I would say that it's great that you've been identified as one of these people, in terms of getting appropriate care.

FWIW, this recent study is a bit interesting: https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/board...enesis-of-lean-non-autoimmune-diabetes.98584/

~30% of Ugandan T2's have non-autoimmune pancreas insuficiency, rather than the visceral fat-related issues which are the more common cause of T2. Would be good to see similar studies in other populations.

It's too simplistic to draw a direct relationship, but there were also about 30% "non-responders" at the 2 year mark in the DiRECT study (ie the Newcastle study, looking at weight loss for remission). That is, people who maintained 15%+ body weight reduction but didn't achieve/preserve remission.

I would say that it's great that you've been identified as one of these people, in terms of getting appropriate care.

I know someone who was normal weight and relatively young when diagnosed and can't manage it with just diet - requires a number of different tablets to keep BG down alongside a low carb diet. They also couldn't lose weight as they had no weight to lose.

There are always exceptions to every rule and research always has a% of counter evidence‍♀️

I was interested to read this WHO diabetes classification document from 2019 yesterday

It was prompted by a new member who mentioned Type 1b (which I hadn’t heard of).

There seems to be a new term for LADA - which is termed ‘Slowly Evolving Immune-Mediated Diabetes’ … so SEIMD??? o_O

And oddly even though references use the term type 3c, the document refers to these as ‘diseases of the exocrine pancreas’. Which is hardly snappy!

There is also mention of ketosis-prone T2 which was another new one on me!

A warm welcome to the forum @GreenT

Sorry to hear about the rather confusing and muddled information around your diagnosis.

Was there a specific reason why you were not categorised T1? Was it simply the lack of autoimmune markers? It sounds like they checked cPeptide to establish you are not producing sufficient insulin.

I think one of the tricky things about classification - certainly of these subtypes data for which are only emerging and becoming clear recently, is that they don’t fit with the very basic health-economics-based prescribing rules - where certain treatments, education courses or technologies are not usually offered to the broadest types of either T2 or T1.

I almost think it would be easier for you to be assigned T1, so that you have access courses, treatments and tech designed for someone on multiple daily injections?

Thanks Eddie for your kind words I have been getting a little down when people simply say ' oh just cut the carbs, excercise more, you can reverse it' its not that simple for a small percentage of T2 its taken 2 years to get to this point but at least as you say its good to know! Forward and onward

I am the same as you, managed for 10 years on metformin. Now on insulin and metformin. No weight problems. First in my entire family with it.

I am the same as you, managed for 10 years on metformin. Now on insulin and metformin. No weight problems. First in my entire family with it.
I know its so frustrating, no history of diabetes in my family either! My GP did say it is likely auto immune based rather than viseral fat ( where you can change things). I took metformin for 2 years but no longer stopped it as the impsct on my digestive system was dreadful couldnt cope with dashing to loo four five six times aday! Had to battle with DN but got there in the end I take Alogliptin and Insuline now, my BG spikes from time to time, still trying to find out why, started at 124 dropped to 78 latest is 56 still too high but going in the right direction. Lets hope there will be a cure one day, take care

Yes, @GreenT and @Eviec. I get a bit annoyed with the idea that everybody who is not blindingly obviously T1 can be shoved into a box with a T2 label and all treated the same. OK, a majority of them will have poor glucose control because of excess visceral fat and losing it is very likely to put things right but there are some, and I include myself amongst them, where that is not the case.

For us, reduction of carbohydrate intake might be sufficient to reduce the glucose swilling about to an amount that our under performing pancreases can deal with. If you are lucky, that will be enough to restore equilibrium but for some, like yourselves, your pancreas cannot cope and needs help either with injected insulin or some other medication that gives the pancreas a boost.

Yes, @GreenT and @Eviec. I get a bit annoyed with the idea that everybody who is not blindingly obviously T1 can be shoved into a box with a T2 label and all treated the same. OK, a majority of them will have poor glucose control because of excess visceral fat and losing it is very likely to put things right but there are some, and I include myself amongst them, where that is not the case.

For us, reduction of carbohydrate intake might be sufficient to reduce the glucose swilling about to an amount that our under performing pancreases can deal with. If you are lucky, that will be enough to restore equilibrium but for some, like yourselves, your pancreas cannot cope and needs help either with injected insulin or some other medication that gives the pancreas a boost.
I get annoyed Too! I think of it as a type of shaming. My weight has been with in the normal BMI range and stable for the last 6 or so years, and I still require medication.

Yep spot on! More research into this anomoly is needed I think

Type two is definitely where everyone is put when they can't be classified as something else.
A plain ordinary unexciting type 2 stops the carbs and BG drops, then finds the level and the foods they can eat - job done. The rest seem to have to manage as best they can and it all depends on the HCPs as to what help they get - except in extreme cases where things are obviously not working.
I hope you get some answers soon, @GreenT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back