Newbie: Symptoms Sound Like Diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLivingDead

55 male, BMI 35. Lost 5st over 12 months through lifestyle changes diet (veg fish lentils. no rice spuds meat pasta) & exercise. No history of diabetes in family. HbA1c in December 2021 was 4.3%. Never smoked or much of a drinker.
Around April or May 2022 suddenly started having diabetes like symptoms that come & go:- dizzy/light headed, headache, blurry vision, brain fog. Weirdest symptom was always about 15 minutes after eating irrespective of what I eat or amount:- throat feels like it's closing up a bit & produces saliva/mucous (sorry!) so always swallowing & a bit of wheezing. Swallowing is uncomfortable. Its like a thirsty pain rather than painful thirst if that makes sense! Drinking water or tea doesn't really help. At first thought I was developing food sensitivity or allergy. Seems more intense now when it comes on between meals so much so the only relief is to eat more so cant be an allergy & havent changed washingup liquid! Have put on about half a stone now which aint good! If I fight the discomfort or sleep at night the symptom eventually dies down but as soon as I eat or have a cuppa (black no sugar).....
Other thing is 3 outer toes on right foot feel a bit numb or tingly esp when its cold then painful when they warm up. Have to wear slippers indoors even in this heatwave!
Been doing fingerprick tests right before & 2 hours after meals always between 4.3 & 6.8mmol/l tho once it was 7.8.

Has anyone had similar symptoms then been diagnosed with prediabetes or diabetes despite the "normal" HbA1c & fingerprick test results? Are you aware of any differential for these symptoms?
Obvs will try to see GP & understand this is a forum not a clinic

The fingerprick results you’ve listed are all very normal @TheLivingDead and your last HbA1C was a very long way from diabetes if that actually was 4.3% rather than 43 (HbA1C results are now listed as a two or three digit number eg 23, 32, 58, 112 or whatever).

Your major symptom seems to be the throat/swallowing thing. I urge you to speak to a doctor about this just so nastier issues can be ruled out. It could be something simple like an ENT problem, but it needs checking.

So no,it doesn’t sound like diabetes to me (a non-medical person with diabetes) but it does need attention.

Last edited:
55 male, BMI 35. Lost 5st over 12 months through lifestyle changes diet (veg fish lentils. no rice spuds meat pasta) & exercise. No history of diabetes in family. HbA1c in December 2021 was 4.3%. Never smoked or much of a drinker.
Around April or May 2022 suddenly started having diabetes like symptoms that come & go:- dizzy/light headed, headache, blurry vision, brain fog. Weirdest symptom was always about 15 minutes after eating irrespective of what I eat or amount:- throat feels like it's closing up a bit & produces saliva/mucous (sorry!) so always swallowing & a bit of wheezing. Swallowing is uncomfortable. Its like a thirsty pain rather than painful thirst if that makes sense! Drinking water or tea doesn't really help. At first thought I was developing food sensitivity or allergy. Seems more intense now when it comes on between meals so much so the only relief is to eat more so cant be an allergy & havent changed washingup liquid! Have put on about half a stone now which aint good! If I fight the discomfort or sleep at night the symptom eventually dies down but as soon as I eat or have a cuppa (black no sugar).....
Other thing is 3 outer toes on right foot feel a bit numb or tingly esp when its cold then painful when they warm up. Have to wear slippers indoors even in this heatwave!
Been doing fingerprick tests right before & 2 hours after meals always between 4.3 & 6.8mmol/l tho once it was 7.8.

Has anyone had similar symptoms then been diagnosed with prediabetes or diabetes despite the "normal" HbA1c & fingerprick test results? Are you aware of any differential for these symptoms?
Obvs will try to see GP & understand this is a forum not a clinic
Definitely go to a doctor to get this diagnosed, there are a few things it could be but doesnt sound like diabetes with your blood test results. Do you have heartburn or reflux? My son had similar when he was diagnosed with GERD. Good luck and tell us how you get on xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back