Newbie requiring advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickid26

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hiya everyone, i'm Vicki and i'm a newbie to the world of diabetes :(

I dont know if am officially classed as diabetic ~ i got a diagnosis of pre-diabetes 10 days ago, but was told next to nothing about wot this means, how it will affect my life, wot changes i need to make etc etc etc.

My diagnosis came about after also being diagnosed with PCOS. I'm overweight, suffer with chronic IBS, have unstable depression, high blood pressure (controlled with meds) and a muscle wasting condition in my lower back.

I suppose am a bit scared ~ all my endocrinologist said was that i'm at the "high end" of pre-diabetes and he'll refer me to a dietician. That was it, nothing more. :confused: 😡

So any advice you guys can give will be more than gratefully recieved.

Also, a work colleague said i'd be entitled to free prescriptions now - is that really true?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Vicki

Hi Vicki. welcome to the forum 🙂 Are you scheduled for any more tests? It may be that your tests so far have shown that you are at the upper end of 'normal', suggesting that you have an impaired reaction to increases in blood glucose. Some doctors refer to this as 'pre-diabetes', suggesting that you are at risk of diabetes should your reactions get worse. Often, being overweight can increase 'insulin resistance', which means that your body can't use the insulin it produces properly, and a reduction in weight, plus dietary and lifestyle modifications may allow you to control things without medication. This, in fact, is what many people diagnosed with diabetes are able to achieve, so you must try and think as they do in order to stay healthy.

Free prescriptions are only available if you are actually diagnosed with diabetes and put on medication for it.

Hope this helps! Let us know how things go and also any questions you may have🙂

Hi Vicki,

Sorry you need to be here, but welcome to the forums. You'll find lots of support from all kinds of people on here.

I was diagnosed at 3 & my parents dealt with the whole process so I'm afraid I can't really advise. There will be plenty others who can, though.

If you are diagnosed as having diabetes you will be entitled to free prescriptions. Every cloud...!

Hope you get some more info soon, waiting for a definite diagnosis must be very frustrating.

Hi Vicky good to meet you sorry its in these circumstances, glad you have found the forum so soon ,even it comes back you dont have diabetes, you will still get loads of great advice...I hope you get to know one way or the other it can be very annoying waiting on a diagnosis x

welcome to the forum vicky

Hi Vicky and welcome. I hope you find the advice and answers you want here.

If the diabetes is controled with any kind of medication you are entitled to free prescriptions. I think the doctor or the practice nurse will help you organise that. The practice nurse did it for me.

Hi & welcome Vicki
You may not feel like referring you to a dietician is much, but actually, many people with diabetes start off with diet and exercise control, and some never progress to medications at all, or have years of diet & exercise before anything else is required. Many people are diagnosed, given a couple of badly photocopied diet sheets and left to get on with it. A chance to talk with a dietician, who can discuss changes to you diet, based on your circumstances, will probably be more useful, so I really hope it helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back