Newbie Posing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules001

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Right here go's

This morning before breakfast my blood was 5.4 @ 9.30... About an hour after it went up to 7.7.. Bearing in mind I had 14 units of Novarapid.... Just taken it again for lunch 8.8....

Anyone got any ideas why it went up, I have not had nothing to eat or drink til now, so I'm a bit confused please could someone enlighten me

Many Thanx
Jules

Right here go's

This morning before breakfast my blood was 5.4 @ 9.30... About an hour after it went up to 7.7.. Bearing in mind I had 14 units of Novarapid.... Just taken it again for lunch 8.8....

Anyone got any ideas why it went up, I have not had nothing to eat or drink til now, so I'm a bit confused please could someone enlighten me

Many Thanx
Jules

I'm moving this to the General Messageboard so it gets more attention, Jules.

When you say you had nothing to eat or drink, do you mean you had no breakfast, yet still took 14 units of novorapid? I would be having a rather severee hypo if I did that! Novorapid should be used to cover the carbs in your meals - called a 'bolus' dose. Taking it when you're not eating is incorrect, unless you are using it to 'correct' an unexpected high reading.Or do you mean you had the 14 units with food for your breakfast and wondered why it was still climbing?

Your liver is constantly releasing a low level of glucose, in order to keep vital functions like your heart, breathing and digestion supplied with energy. In order to make sure that this doesn't rise too high, people on insulin generally use a slow-acting, or 'basal' insulin like levemir or lantus. This regime is called 'Multiple Daily Injections (MDI) or 'basal/bolus.

If you are on such a regime, and using novorapid suggests you are, then it sounds like your slow acting insulin is not set correctly. What doses do you take?

Last edited:
Hi Jules, am I right in thinking that you take fixed doses of insulin for each meal? It could be that the amount of carbs you ate did not match the insulin, hence the rise.

Have you spoken to your team about learning to carb count? That way you match your insulin doses to what you eat.

Hi

Yes I had 14 units before Breakfast then done another blood check and it was 7.7.. I only had 3 crumpets with butter and a cuppa tea NO Sugar... The I didnt have anything til 13.30 done blood check before eating lunch and it was 8.8!!!

Yes I am having fixed units at the mo. My nurse has set them at

Before Breakfast 14 Units
Before Lunch 16 Units
Evening Meal 36 Units + Glucopharge 2000mg
Before Bed 50 Units of slow acting insulin

My Nurse rings me every 3-4 Days to see how its going.. Its becuase I felt like giving up on everything a few months ago I just had enough of injectin and stuff... But I am back on the straight n narrow now🙂

I don't think going from 7.7 - 8.8 is too much to worry about, bearing in mind meters aren't 100% accurate.

Glad to see you've got good contact with your DSN - a lot of people don't get that. Has she checked what you are eating so you can closely match your insulin to your food? 🙂

Hi

Yes I had 14 units before Breakfast then done another blood check and it was 7.7.. I only had 3 crumpets with butter and a cuppa tea NO Sugar... The I didnt have anything til 13.30 done blood check before eating lunch and it was 8.8!!!

Hi Jules, if you tested an hour after eating three crumpets I wouldn't find 7.7 unusual at all, in fact your blood sugar was more than likely still climbing - it's usually at least two hours before it reaches its peak, depending on what you ate. The butter with the crumpets would have probably slowed the digestion (any fat does this), so again, 7.7 isn't surprising. I suspect that the 8.8 is the number it had come back DOWN to after peaking higher than this an hour or so before.

You take much more in the evening than the morning. I know you probably eat more in the evening, but a lot of people have more insulin resistance in the morning so need more isnulin to cover less food.

For example, today I have eaten the following:

Breakfast: Thick slice of toast and marmalade, 9 units novorapid
Lunch : Salmon salad sandwich and yoghurt, 12 units novorapid
Eve.meal: Sausage, egg, beans, chips, slice of bread, pears and ice cream - 14 units novorapid.

Of course, we are all different, but I think you can see how the ratios change over the course of the day. For the moment, your nurse will be trying to adjust the doses so that they are more in line with your ratios. During this period, you are bound to get the odd blip, but it will all become clear(ish!) soon! Keep up the good work! 🙂

Thanx for the replys...

I took the slow acting dose of 36 Units before my evening meal instead of my Novarapid so panick stations were ringing... but I call my Nurse and she has sorted it out now, I have never made that mistake in the 8 yrs I have been using insulin..😱 lol

She did say I might feel a bit weary 2moro lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back